Running Classic apps in OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Shagmeister, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Shagmeister macrumors newbie

Aug 18, 2006
    Hi, I am running OS X 10.4.7 with 550 MHz PPC G3, with 256 MB SDRAM. I upgraded it from OS 9, and now there are some applications I wish to use, but can't seem to: they were installed on OS 9 and I assume i need to operate in Classic to access them, but therein lies the problem, because when the 'Classic starting' box pops up, it doesnt progress from there. It says i need to install a different version of quicktime, but if i try i am unsuccesful. What i am really wondering is whether I can upgrade those apps to OS X standard, and then use the as normal. The apps in question include iMovie 2 and Appleworks 6. And Toast. I'm not a very experienced Mac user, and never used it when it ran OS 9 (I 'inherited' the computer). I imagine this is all simple stuff to you mac geniuses, but i've been putting off sorting it out for a while now and its about time it got fixed. Thanks!
  2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Jul 16, 2002
    Try going to the Classic system preference panel, and clicking on the "advanced" option. From there select "with extensions off" and see if Classic will start up.

As for Appleworks, the OSX version is separate but available as a free download from Apple. Or at least, it used to be. To upgrade the "i" applications you'll need to buy the latest version of iLife -- though I suspect you won't be happy with the performance of iMovie on this Mac.
  3. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    As has been pointed out, any version of AppleWorks 6.x.x can be upgraded to the latest version (6.2.9). All versions after 6.1.x were designed to run in both Mac OS X and Mac OS 8/9 (though I was able to run AppleWorks 6.0.4 as a native Mac OS X app in Mac OS X Public Beta... just a historical note).

You can download the AppleWorks 6.2.9 update here.
  4. Shagmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 18, 2006
    Thanks for the information. Unfortunately the extensions were already turned off; I have since tried it with the extensions manager option as well, which also didn't work. I never mentioned before, but as Classic starts up, it recommends i upgrade from 9.1 to 9.2. Perhaps this is causing problems? Although I understand that you need to run Classic to upgrade it, or is that wrong?
    My Appleworks is version Z-6.0.4, I downloaded the updater (6.2.9) but it doesnt seem to work, it can't find a folder with a US installation, and I'm really hoping this isn't because I reside in the UK. For a minute there, I thought everything was sorted.
  5. yippy macrumors 68020

Mar 14, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    With that computer you should still be able to boot to OS 9. Go to Sytem Preferences->Statup Disk and choose your OS 9 folder. Restart into OS 9 and then you can update it to 9.2.2 and update the OS 9 version of quicktime. After that choose Apple Menu->Control Panels->Startup disk and go back to OS X. Classic should work fine then.
  6. Shagmeister thread starter macrumors newbie

Aug 18, 2006
    Wahay! Ive upgraded Classic to OS 9.2, and now i can operate Apple Works 6.0.4 in OS X. Thanks a bunch hombres.
  7. RacerX macrumors 65832

Aug 2, 2004
    If you are in the UK, then you need to go here for the AppleWorks update.