Running Classic off of CD-R

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ftaok, Oct 20, 2005.

1. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK, I'm currently using a 500 mhz ibook running 10.4.1 (or whatever the latest is). I don't have OS 9 installed, so I can't do classic. I've caught a bit of notalga fever and want to revive an old OS 9 game.

I'd like to install an operable OS 9 System folder, but not on my hard drive. I am wondering if it's possible to "install" OS 9 onto a CD-R to run Classic from within OS X. I realize that I won't be able to install directly onto a CD-R, but I do have an external FW hard drive that I can use (temporarily as it's normally used to back up my iTunes and iPhoto) and then transfer those contents onto the CD-R.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

In order to run Classic, MacOS X must add some support files to your MacOS 9 System Folder. So, to run Classic from a CD, you would have to do a drag and drop installation of MacOS 9 with all required support files onto the CD-R. You can run MacOS 9 from a CD, so there is no reason that you should not be able to run Classic from a CD. However, this will present a challenge. You need the ability to edit files in the MacOS 9 System Folder. You cannot do this if it resides on a CD. In view of the convenience issues, the question then is "Why?"

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

My guess would be to avoid cluttering up the hard drive with legacy files.

4. ftaok thread starter macrumors 601

ftaok

Bingo! I realize that as soon as I get past this current bout of nostalga, I won't have any need for Classic.

As for OS X writing info into the OS 9 System Folder, does it happen while running Classic or is it a one time set-up? I'm thinking that perhaps I could install OS 9 onto my external hard drive, set up Classic and get that running good. THen I could copy that OS 9 system onto a CD-R.

Anyways, thanks for the help.

ft

5. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The Classic support files have to be written once. However, your MacOS 9 preferences files resides in your resides in your MacOS 9 Preferences folder which, in turn, resides in your MacOS 9 System Folder. With Classic on CD, you cannot install certain MacOS 9 apps because you cannot save their Preferences files.

6. ftaok thread starter macrumors 601

ftaok

Oh well, it looks like my nostalga fever will have to pass. I could bite the bullet and just put OS 9 on the hard drive, but the last time I did that, I messed it up and had to reinstall everything. And I'm not even sure what I did.

Maybe I'll buy an external HD and put OS 9 on it. I do have a 4.3 GB hard drive lying around. Just need a cheap FW box.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I begrudgingly installed Classic a couple of days ago so that I could play Red Faction again. The game runs in OS X, but the installer needs 9!