Running Classic on a G5 ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by zer0army, Nov 14, 2003.

1. zer0army macrumors regular

Jan 28, 2003
    How do I get classic to run on my G5 ? I remember reading it was in additional instals on one of the Panther disks but I cant seem to find it. Can someone give me a hand with this.
  2. mklos macrumors 68000

Dec 4, 2002
    My house!
    I don't believe that it was an option to install Mac OS 9 (Classic) when you upgrade to Mac OS X.3 (Panther). It wasn't an option when I upgraded.

If your PowerMac G5 didn't include Mac OS 9 (Classic Support) standard then reading below is pointless!!!

What I did to get Classic back on my 1 GHz Flat Panel iMac is I used the DVD that came with my iMac that has the built-in software (including OS 9) and installed Classic that way. If your PowerMac G5 came with Classic Support then you can put it on that way. Just install it off the DVD that came with your PowerMac G5 that has all the built-in software on it. You may have to put your DVD in and install a little program that Apple made to restore the software. If so, then look in Applications/Utilities for a program called:
    "Software Restore". Launch that and then you can choose what Applications you want to restore. This is also how you would get iDVD back on your PowerMac G5. I'm going off what I did on my FP iMac after the Panther upgrade so I'm hoping the procedure is basically the same to get your built-in Applications back on your PowerMac.