running classic os9 in osX

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by maikeru, May 10, 2004.

1. maikeru macrumors member

Jan 7, 2004
    i am a newbie (just got first mac y'day)

i am unable to run os9/classic

when i launch an older program, os9 starts....seems to load, then just disappears. the program itself shows up in the dock for about two seconds then disappears

did a little searching on the apple site.....i deleted the os9 server file, to no avail. also i have no 3rd party wireless on my powerbook.

thanks for any help on this one.
  2. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

Jan 25, 2004
    here from apple help The Classic environment fails to start or stops working

If the Classic environment fails to start or stops working occasionally, or some Mac OS 9 applications freeze or quit suddenly, you may have a problem with the extensions you have installed. You can use the Classic preferences pane to control the extensions you are using.

To control the Mac OS 9 extensions used in the Classic environment:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, and then click Classic.
    Click Advanced.
    Do one of the following:

To turn off all extensions, choose Turn Off Extensions from the pop-up menu, and then click Start Classic or Restart Classic.

To turn off some extensions and leave others on, choose Open Extensions Manager from the pop-up menu, and then click Start Classic or Restart Classic.

The Extensions Manager will open when Classic restarts, so you can select which extensions you want to use. To get information about resolving extensions conflicts from the AppleCare Knowledge Base, click the link at the bottom left.

You should also check your Mac OS 9 control panels and other programs for settings that prevent the system from shutting down. To open the Mac OS 9 control panels, make a Mac OS 9 application active and choose Control Panels from the Mac OS 9 Apple menu (the icon is multicolored).

If you need to force the Classic environment to quit, choose Apple menu > Force Quit in Mac OS X. Select Classic Environment and click Force Quit. Forcing the Classic environment to quit will quit all Mac OS 9 applications you have open without letting you save changes to your documents. You can also try force-quitting individual Mac OS 9 applications by selecting them in the Force Quit dialog and clicking Force Quit.

To learn more about using Mac OS 9 applications in Mac OS X, click "Tell me more.