Running Cron Jobs?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by imac abuser, Mar 23, 2005.

1. imac abuser macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

Someone told me that I need to run my monthly cron jobs what are these and how do i do it?

thanks

2. reh macrumors 6502a

Install anacron. It'll make sure the daily, weekly, and monthly cron jobs get run when needed. If your Mac was sleeping or off when they were supposed to run, then it'll run 'em shortly after waking up.

3. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

These are maintenance tasks that OSX uses to keep itself running smoothly. They are usually run automatically at 3am (I think) if the computer is on 24/7. I think it's a legacy of the UNIX/ BSD system that OSX is built on - someone, no doubt, will correct me or add more info ;). To do it manually try macjanitor.

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Open Terminal.app, type:

sudo periodic daily weekly monthly

This will run all 3 scripts, any variation of daily, weekly, and/or monthly will also work.

5. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

There are lots of different freeware app to be found at www.versiontracker.com that do this job. I use MaintainyouMac but I couldn't find it the other day. I have also used Macjanitor which is very good.

6. imac abuser thread starter macrumors 6502a

imac abuser

i have mac os x cocktail is this a similar type program?

7. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

coctail will be able to run them as well no problem

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Cocktail integrates many things that are done in the command line into one nice-looking GUIfied application.