Running Emulators on the DS and the M3

Discussion in 'Games' started by dwishbone, Dec 28, 2006.

1. dwishbone macrumors regular

ive got an M3Adapter for my DS. its...well...eh. not what i expected. ive had it for awhile now and i havnt used it too much mainly because you have to use their management utility to load games to the device for them to actually play.
    i try to avoid windows like the plague.
    i was wondering if anyone knows of ways to use roms on the M3Adapter without using the management software.
    the emulators dont appears to be on the adapter itself because roms dont load when copied over...at least not for me. ive tried them in zip and also popular formats like .nes, .smc, etc. also the software sets up little vm save files for the games.
    so basically is there any way i can get a good emulation experience (mainly nes and snes) on the DS using just my mac?
    i saw there was a new media player for the DS too that runs homebrew software, but i think id be in the same boat there.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I found an M3 loader application for OSX on the M3-forums. Didn't try it though. Snes emulation is rubbish, my NES roms work fine on it though.

All M3 adapters run homebrew software.

3. dwishbone thread starter macrumors regular

well what i meant when i said homebrew there were the other emulators that were made for the DS. in my experience they dont work as well as the ones that M3 uses...so even if i got the other media adapter i wouldnt have as good of emulation.
    GBA and DS games play flawlessly on the thing...since its not really emulation.
    i havnt ever tried any TG or Sega emulation on it. can anyone say how those stack up? the nes always has seemed pretty good...but at least im not the only one having problems with the snes support being crap.

edit. i found the "mac" loader. it requires other commercial software to run. its a runtime environment like WINE.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I tried Master System but it just crashes all the time.

M3 has built in emulators? The PC side converts the Sega/whatever roms to GBA roms. There is no emulation running on the DS/GBA, the CPU is way to weak for that, it's all pre-done on the PC side. At least I think so. Can't get any Master System roms to work :D

5. dwishbone thread starter macrumors regular

wha? so the M3 doesnt actually emulate anything? it converts the roms to executeable GBA code? so thats why roms dont work when they are copied over. thats wild. i didnt even know that was possible. that also explains why they only run in "GBA" mode and not "DS" mode.
    thats sad because if they ran in DS mode it has more than enough horsepower to emulate a SNES. ive tried some of the homebrew ones and the speed is fine. its just they are extremely buggy right now.

6. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

No, jimmi is mistaken; the M3 software on the PC side attaches an emulator and rom into the same file, so it appears as a single .gba rom.

It doesn't "convert" it to a GBA rom or anything, the DS is still running an emulator.

There's a really good DS NES emulator called NesDS. You load all your NES roms in a folder, and run NesDS and choose the roms. It takes up the whole DS screen too, and you can fast forward and rewind.

I like the M3's GBA patching software, letting you have multiple savegames and a savestate on GBA games. I rip all my own roms, so I keep my savegames from the cartridges.