running .exe on OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by wildernessbob, Jan 20, 2007.

1. wildernessbob macrumors member

wildernessbob

Is there a freeware app out there that would allow me to run .exe apps on my power book?
    wb

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Not really, no. qemu is free, but you still need a copy of Windows, and it's insanely slow.

3. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

You have to get some program (Parallels, Boot Camp, etc.) to run/emulate Windows. .EXEs cannot be run natively in OS X.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Parallels and Boot Camp are intel only...

5. grum macrumors regular

6. Blubbert macrumors 6502

Yes, Crossover is Intel only. Though in my experience, it is not that good. I havent been able to run anything i installed trough it.

7. Applied macrumors newbie

Sorry for digging out that old thread. But you really can't execute .exe files on a Mac? So harmful code cannot be executed either?

8. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Not to say that there's no harmful code that can be executed on a Mac, but .exe files are specific to Windows. In fact, .exe files will be looked at as a Unix executable if there's nothing else to run it (even though you really can't run them as such).

Actually, .exe (or.doc, .xls, or .anythingatall) are meaningless in the Mac environment. Windows uses the extension to determine the appropriate application, whereas the Mac uses Creator and Type, both embedded in the file, to determine the correct executable for a given document. They can read the extension for common filetypes so you're able to open Windows documents, but Mac-created ones don't require it, except when you're going to transport them to a Windows machine.

9. Billicus macrumors 6502a

Billicus

It's not freeware but if you really need to find a solution, check out Virtual PC from Microsoft, which would allow you to install a version of Windows and thereby run an .exe.

Edit... sorry, didn't realize it was an old thread, but this is still the only viable PPC emulation product that I'm aware of.

10. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

there is a program called darwine. it's a port of Wine to Darwin.

last i checked (last year) it was alpha. but lots of improvment may have been made since then.

11. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwine

check out the screen shot! right now it is pre-alpha. you are able to download a build. ha i've tried this before. i played minesweeper! lol. give it a shot. it will allow you run .exe files right through wine's api.