Running external monitor or MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eyebeaz, Oct 25, 2006.

1. eyebeaz macrumors 6502

Oct 22, 2006
    I recently bought an external monitor for my MacBook to have a bigger display while I am at home. I realize I can run both screens but usually that is unnecessary for me. My original intention was just to keep the MacBook closed while having it power the external monitor. Someone brought up to me that the MacBook could overheat while closed, potentially causing damage to the screen of the MacBook. Is this something I should be concerned about?
  2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    No. This was the case with the iBook which is why clamshell mode was disabled on those. The MacBook is designed to support this so this is available.
  3. Chundles macrumors G4

Jul 4, 2005
    The MacBook and the MacBook Pro are both designed to be able to run with their lids closed. There shouldn't be any risk in running your MacBook in this way.

The problem with heat damage relates more to people using iBooks with their lids closed by way of a hack - the iBook dissipates heat through the keyboard and blocking it does pose the potential for damage.

The MacBook however should have no problems running with it's lid closed. Now, if you're going to be doing some heavy duty video encoding I would suggest not only opening the lid but propping it up on something to ensure air flow all around the case. Every little bit helps.
  4. jonutarr macrumors regular

Sep 1, 2006