Running for Junior Class President

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by muffinman, May 7, 2006.

1. muffinman macrumors 6502

muffinman

Hey

Im running for 11th grade president, and I'm making these posters to put around school asking people to vote for me. At the bottom of each poster is gonna be a quote about me from various people. Here are a couple examples:

"Sometimes, things have to change"
    "He actually does stuff"
    "He's in it for you."

Do you have any particularly witty/funny ones?

2. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Good luck!

I'm sophomore class Secretary and one of the four class Student Council members for my grade.

3. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

I'm running for Junior Class president this year as well, except I don't think I'll be opposed :(

It's great to have a last name that rhymes with vote, it can get very catchy chanting 'vote skok!' up and down the hallways.

4. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

"Just watch."
    "Have you MET the opposition?" (ok, that one might not fly well)

I like your first one the best. It's weird, my HS never had class presidents, student council, etc. And we're a really large school (almost 400 ppl in my senior class)

5. adk macrumors 68000

adk

Run on the "Kegs at prom" platform, and you'll be a shoe-in.

6. amacgenius macrumors 68000

amacgenius

Heh, think again :D. Anyways, I never heard anybody but you go down the halls and chant "vote Skok". :rolleyes:

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

8. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I'd vote for that.

9. yankeefan24 macrumors 65816

yankeefan24

when I saw your avatar I thought I was hacked:eek: ;) :p

Anyways, Good Luck with your campaign. Just I always thought elections were in the fall. Is it a summer program? Or are you international? I'll have to look.

10. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Remember, most elections are popularity contests, so be sure to put most of your time into networking. Just go all over school and hang out a little with all the different groups. Just be friendly with them, open with some small talk. For instance talk a little about baseball to the baseball players, but don't try and talk about a topic if you really don't know anything about it. Talk a little about why you're running and be sure to drop your name a few times so they remember it. If they seem receptive you can even ask them to help spread the word for you by talking to their friends and you could hand them some flyers. But don't try to act like you're suddenly their friend, that'll just come off annoyingly obsequious (look it up). Don't spend too much time with any one group, spend a little time with each clique and then move on to the next one.

And since resources are limited you'd be much better off carpet bombing the school with tons of small cheap quick to make flyers rather than spending much time making a few large fancy posters that you want to make perfect. Nothing wins elections like name recognition. You want to make it so they hear your name over and over and see your name on a million flyers all over the place. When it comes time to vote they'll always vote for the person who's name they recognized over the person whom they've never heard of.

11. muffinman thread starter macrumors 6502

muffinman

Yeah, I'm well known

Like it, and it is now on one of my posters like this

"Think Different"
    -Eric Nau

Also on:

"Just Watch"
    -Mariah Lullaby

12. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

It's good to see that you're taking an active role in HS politics, I'm the Student Council President myself (I've been in Student Council all 4 years of HS). It might help us out if you told how many people are in your class (and school). My school only has a little over 100 people (24 people in my class), so things are drastically different than someone from a school with 1000 or more people.

My piece of advice would be to get your friends to help GOTV as much as possible. Also, if you have the resources, make some t-shirts, buttons, whatever. I believe buttons are pretty cheap and easy to make, and the t-shirts don't have to be elaborate, just design some iron-ons and pass them out to your "campaign team." That will also help with name recognition.

13. muffinman thread starter macrumors 6502

muffinman

about 1700 people, but in only 400 people will vote for the junior class president.

one of the rules is that you cant make any buttons or pins, but shirts is a good idea.

i've made some posters and propoganda.

14. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Thanks, I'm honored, but I must confess, I didn't come up with that by myself. I had a little help from a certain company. :)

BTW: There's no space in my user name. ;)

What High School is this in San Diego? I know someone that goes to HS in SD; I was just curious. (if you don't want to say it's ok)