Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
United States
So I Have 500gb Total in RAID 0 on my Powermac G5 using 2 250gb HDD's. Its running 10.5.8, its a dual 1.8ghz, 4gb Ram, 9800 Pro, ect. Now Before you say the thing is loud and uses alot of power, I Dont care. And Heat isnt an issue, as its downstairs, it could use some heating up down here anyway. Either Way, I'm looking to use it as a home file server, Possible Minecraft Home Server??, with remote desktop for my MBP and iMac.

Now I Have never been able to successfully figured out how to make it a home server, if someone could make a noob guide, or just give me some idea on how to get it working correctly.. The Thing is collecting dust and needs to be put to work!

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Are you looking to use Open source server apps, or Apple server apps? because **** like Apache is pretty easy to get.

TehFalcon

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2011
United States
Prob apple, so it integrates better with my network and setup, but whatever seems more viable. Again it's just a home server.

zen.state

macrumors 68020
Mar 13, 2005
Everything you need is already right on any Mac running 10.5 or later. Just turn on file sharing on any Mac you want file access to. Use the built in app called "Screen Sharing" for remote access. The easiest way to access it is by clicking on the Mac you want to remotely use in the finder sidebar under shared and click on "Share Screen" in the top right of the window. Note that along with file sharing you need to turn on screen sharing in the sharing prefs.

You don't need a server version of OS X at all and you certainly don't need Apache as thats a web server and will do nothing you list needs for.

Graeme43

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2006
Great Britain (Glasgow)
If you really want to run Minecraft properly I'd suggest seeing if u can somehow upgrade your java as you ideally need Java 6 especially if you're going to use any mods on it such as bukkit

ehobbit

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2012
I'm looking to set up something similar.
My question - can I put applications on the file server, so that I can have just one set of up to date apps that can be accessed by all users?

Or does each local mac need it's own apps folder?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.