Running Lion on MBP -anyone wanna know anything?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Messy, Feb 25, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Hey all,

Currently running 10.7 with no problems, does anyone want any specific screen shots, or want to know anything specific?

Let me know, I'll see what I can do and post my results here!

:)

2. macrumors 601

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

You just linked the forum... there is no thread for specific requests/screenshots.

;)

4. macrumors 6502

Thank you for asking.

I'd like to know how much RAM and processor it consumes when it first start up, there are no application running.

5. macrumors 6502a

Are you running it on a C2D MBP?
    If so, how does it run compared to SL?

6. macrumors 6502

i'm running it too,

it seams to run fine, with minor bugs of course, no notice of better or worse performance wise. but it is a developer preview, we shouldn't be too concerned about the performance yet.

it takes up quite a bit more ram.

especially safari. there is an additional process in activity monitor called safari web content that takes up almost as much ram as safari itself.

7. macrumors 6502a

Also, could you upload the default background?

8. macrumors member

Been Running and using Lion all day(ish), most questions answered!

Just ask me any thing you want to know about OS X Lion, Ill try and answer!

9. macrumors 6502

10. thread starter macrumors 6502

Processor next to nothing, I end up with about 2.4gb RAM free without anything running fresh from boot. After running a few programs, Firefox, PS etc it bumps it down to about 1.2gb.

Total RAM installed 4GB. (Keep in mind I have a 9400 which is also shared memory).

Yep, 2.26ghz w/4GB RAM.

Thus far seems fine, not amazingly quicker, maybe marginally. Initially slow but thats because of the indexing. Im finding the scrolling being inverted the one key thing i need to get used to!

Err where are they stored? :) Im sure some others have uploaded them already btw.

Edit: Someone did it for ya above. ;)

11. macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the background, i really like it.

Are there anything things that obviously need work and refining, or are there no alarmingly buggy features?

12. thread starter macrumors 6502

One thing I like is this:

[​IMG]

Clicking on the service button brings up a a few options which will display what apple care you have remaining etc.

All the tabs are nice and clear, giving nice visual representations. You can of course view the full spec sheet as normal if you want.

13. macrumors 6502

Thanks for the answer. It seems my Air's 2 GB will be enough for a good performance - I was a little bit concerned that new features will be RAM hub, but it seems they don't consume too much resource.

14. thread starter macrumors 6502

Honestly, I haven't encountered any bugs -im sure there are some though. I don't use Safari but some people have mentioned a few issued with that.

Launchpad works well, but theres a few things that need worked out with that, scrolls well but note quite there compared to iOS.

15. macrumors newbie

So does Cal finally now allow you to add alerts to birthdays that are shown on the birthday calendar that is imported from Address Book?

16. thread starter macrumors 6502

Apologies -don't have any of that set up on this system.

17. macrumors regular

Does Starcraft 2 run any faster ? :D

18. macrumors member

:p - hardly anything runs faster in dev previews I'm afraid... though I haven't tried!

19. macrumors 68000

What was the install process like? I'm intrigued to know how it installs having been downloaded from the App Store. Is it through being burned to disk, or just mount the DMG and install from within 10.6?

20. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

I just mounted the DMG and started installing. First I created a partition with Disk Utility of course. I only took like 20 minutes to install which was a surprise.

21. macrumors 68000

Thanks - I wasn't too sure how Apple were dealing with the digital delivery. I'd expected it to be a burn to DVD exercise like previous developer builds.

22. macrumors member

I partitioned an external HD, with about 30GB for Lion (as I'm only using it for testing) and then installed it. Simple as always, took 5 mins to prepare, then 18 mins when I first booted it. Really simple. Now I just press option on start to choose from snow leopard or lion.

:D

23. macrumors 68000

I take it at this stage it is not possible to install as the primary operating system?

24. macrumors member

It is possible, I just did not want to risk file loss, which is quite possible in these first builds!

25. Moderator emeritus

Hellhammer

I can't see why not. It offered my Macintosh HD as the target of the install and that would have overwritten my Snow Leopard installation. It is not recommended to run it as primary OS though.