running macbook without battery

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GCY, Sep 22, 2006.

1. GCY macrumors regular

this is a stupid question but will running the macbook without battery cause any problems to my machine either short term or long?
    I do noticed that it runs a lot cooler with the AC plugged in without the battery as oppose to with it. It saves battery life also:rolleyes:

2. GCY thread starter macrumors regular

no one knows. anyone even running it without battery.
    It might not be a good idea after all. For the 2 weeks I have the macbook, most of the time when charging and using, the stupid cord always poped out. maybe once or twice outta like the 15+ times I charged it that it didn't.

3. macOSX-tastic macrumors 6502a

macOSX-tastic

ah, this is what i like about our PPC macs. dirty, dirty, magsafe. my powerbook runs fine without battery, as i found out when i checked my battery to see if it needed to be exchanged....

...dirty, dirty, magsafe.

:D

S

4. GCY thread starter macrumors regular

magsafe?

5. Sawtoothdude macrumors regular

I think the mag safe is the magnetic power plug that can pop in and out.

6. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

right you are. it was designed to prevent tripping over the power cord and having your notebook crash to the ground.

7. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

8. GCY thread starter macrumors regular

na...if ur constantly moving like I am, the cord always poped out. gets annoying sometimes. if ur using it on a desk, the cord won't be an issue.

now....running the macbook without the battery is safe right? recommended or not?

9. jamone80 macrumors regular

10. Silentwave macrumors 68000

I'm running on brain-fumes here, but I think it is NOT a good idea.

Reason:
    Your CPU will throttle back to 1.0GHz and not go above that. The reason? the Battery on apple laptops does something or other having to do with power or voltage or one of those big technical words and without it the processor becomes vulnerable to something or other that sounded dangerous, so it cuts back.

11. idkfa macrumors regular

Another point, if you are running without a battery, if you knock out the magnetic connector, and you lose power, say goodbye to whatever you are working on.

12. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

i think the chips underclock themselves to 1GHz temporarily. I don't know why, they just do.

13. GCY thread starter macrumors regular

yea that happens once. The only time I run it without battery

14. GCY thread starter macrumors regular

cool, thanks for the help
    I just did it once to see if it works. I don't think I'll do that again.

15. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

®îçhå®?

there is nothing bad about running it without a battery, it will not damage anything. The computer might throw a bit of a wobbly at first but nothing happens in the long run. The magsafe is an excellent idea but in principal, it is not that good, it needs a stronger magnet on it to hold it in place more firmly.

16. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I really see no point to running the computer with the battery out. It sounds like some crazy Mac idea and is really counting pennies on battery life.

17. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

It works as a surge protector and protects the precious innards of you MacBook/Pro from power spikes.

18. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Running the computer with the battery KILLS the battery's lifespan. Even though the mac stops charging it once it reaches 100%, there are 3 things that contribute to battery breakdown:

1) Lithium ion batteries undergo an unstoppable chemical degradation process the moment they're made. The process is slowest when the battery is ~ 40% charged. Keeping it in the macbook ensures that it's at 100% all the time

2) The macbook is hot while running. This warms the battery and increases the rate that the battery degrades

3) The mac recharges the battery whenever it loses ANY charge so if the battery drops from 100% to 99%, the mac automatically recharges it, sometimes dozens of times in a day, putting the battery through lots of unwanted charge-recharge cycles that also wears it down.

All of these things put together can seriously impact how powerful your battery can remain. It can reduce your battery's lifespan by as much as 1-2 years.

19. Silentwave macrumors 68000

um, my MBP doesn't charge unless it drops below 95%. It rarely does.
    Also, i've run my MBP constantly since april, coconutbattery still shows it is ABOVE 100% capacity.

20. GCY thread starter macrumors regular

hmm...ppl have different opinions
    I'm just afraid my battery will drain pretty quickly since I'm constantly plugging in and out. I don't really need portabity right now but it def. will be useful later on. I don't want the battery to be draining on me with just 30 mins. use. The battery is pretty weak as it is right now.(just 2 weeks old macbook,but I'm pretty sure that how it is)

21. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

Go argue with wikipedia:
    You're obviously more knowledgeable than them with your vast experience.