Running Old Games in OS9

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by vampirepiggy, Dec 7, 2004.

1. vampirepiggy macrumors newbie

vampirepiggy

Whenever I try to run a game such as Doom or Descent in OS9, the game only takes up about a third of the screen. It's kind of hard to explain, so I've attached a screenshot of what it looks like.

I've got a 15" titanium PowerBook G4, so initially I thought the problem had something to do with the abnormal resolution. But, even after I ran the game in 1024 x 768, I had the exact same problem. In fact, the percent of the screen taken up by the game hadn't changed, which I found quite odd.

Neither of the games are recent enough to allow you to change the in-game resolution, so I'm stuck. I wouldn't mind it being windowed, either. Any suggestions? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Are you running in classic mode? You could try rebooting in OS 9.

It sounds like something is wrong, though. I've run games (not the specific ones you mentioned) in Classic and they have worked fine. Maybe reinstall OS 9?

Or what about changing your resolution: you could use the Monitors control panel to decrease your resolution to 640X480,

3. vampirepiggy thread starter macrumors newbie

vampirepiggy

Yeah, I tried both, but neither have worked.

Sadly, I don't have the disk.

This makes the game full screen, but, for some reason, it also makes it run a lot faster. Too fast, actually. Is there some software that slows down your CPU, or assigns percents of it to different applications?

Heh, I just realized how much trouble I'm going through to play a game that's nearly 10 years old. :p