Running old games... The 7th Guest?

Discussion in 'Games' started by mulletman13, Oct 4, 2004.

1. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

I recently came across The 7th Guest for Mac and I immediately had to pick it up considering I had a ... terrifying past with the game and I really want to finish it now that I'm older.

I can install it fine through classic, but when I try to play it, the music starts, but there is no video :'(

The instructions say it runs in System 7 (dear god thats old..), but I heard people have played it in OS 9. I have a rev b 1ghz 12" powerbook and I was looking forward to playing this. Is there any software I can run, or has anybody else ran this program?

.. This may also be appropriate in the software help forum.

Thanks in advance~

2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Its called Basilisk II. Then you download Mac OS 7.5.3 which is free from Apple. Just do a search for it and it'll bring up an index directory where you can download it. But with Basilisk II you can find a startup disk that allows you to copy everything that it has to a preconfigured hard drive and then install 7.5.5 and run older games. Thats my suggestion.

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

You may not want to double-post. That's a no-no in message board etiquette.

4. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Last year, I came accross Phantasmagoria/7th guest/11th hour and had to buy them all... for the same reasons that you mentioned. At the time I had a dual boot laptop. Getting these games to work was nearly impossible. In fact, phantasmagoria was the only game that ended up playable. These games are dependant on oldschool quicktime. They don't work with newer versions. So you've got to downgrade quicktime to play it. Then, you've got to lower your resolution. But like i said, 7th guest/11th hour never did work right. Sucks that i've got these awesome games without a way to play them. I've been looking for a first generation imac just so i can play these three games in OS 8(oh, and DukeNukem 3d too :)). If you do manage to get them working somehow, let me know, because i'm in purgatory with this dillema as well.

5. woxel1 macrumors member

This is an issue that has been plaguing me for some time... as far as I can tell, you can only run T7G properly in an OS 9 environment, and not through X & the Classic Bubble. It sucks, but unless your computer can boot into 9 you're out of luck!

6. Atheist_Peace macrumors newbie

7. mulletman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Thank you very much!

I'll try that when i get back to the dorms :-D

8. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

...still doesn't run in panther.. sucks. Any more ideas?