Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CivilianTaco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Pennsylvania, USA
This I have pondered for years. Back when I got my first iOS device, the 2nd gen Touch, one of my favorite games was TOP GUN made by Paramount. I eventually bought newer devices and now I currently use an iPhone 6.

My question is: Is their a way or a Cydia tweak that can enable older apps (mainly those whose page doesn't show up in the App Store anymore and whose ipa file you can't find online) to run on newer devices? Top Gun crashes upon loading a new game, Baseball Superstars 2010 crashes upon startup, and various other older apps crash. Any help would be appreciated, I miss my old apps dearly!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
If they were never updated to work for the OS you are on then they won't run.. Too much has changed.

PS. If you ever downloaded an app, it will show up in your Purchased items section in the app store, even if Apple has removed it from the App store.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I know, but is there ANY way through Cydia or otherwise that can like update the app to work?
I wish Cydia were a magical fix all for every problem. But it's not.

No Cydia tweak can add non-existant code to make an app work on firmware it was never updated to.

Contact the dev of the apps and ask them to update it. You'll get farther there then you will anywhere else.

CivilianTaco

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 25, 2016
Pennsylvania, USA
I wish Cydia were a magical fix all for every problem. But it's not.

No Cydia tweak can add non-existant code to make an app work on firmware it was never updated to.

Contact the dev of the apps and ask them to update it. You'll get farther there then you will anywhere else.

How the hell do I contact the devs, lol? I mean it's an app that's been out for probably almost 10 years, if the devs even make apps anymore they probably wouldn't have anything.

tjwilliams25

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2014
Montana
How the hell do I contact the devs, lol? I mean it's an app that's been out for probably almost 10 years, if the devs even make apps anymore they probably wouldn't have anything.

I think you just answered your question. If the company who developed it hasn't updated it in years, there's probably a reason for that. Unfortunately, Cydia is great for certain things, but I agree that it isn't a magical band-aid to fix anything you want it to.

iThingsGurl

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2014
Canada
Any help would be appreciated, I miss my old apps dearly!

I hear you! Unfortunately, since Apple absolutely does not allow installing apps that are not available on its App Store (or apps that used to be available but not anymore), it is difficult to install what can now be considered third party apps on your non-jailbroken iPhone.

With Cydia however, they have a few tweaks for installing your old apps. Here's the link which claims to do just that. Albeit, you'll need the .ipa file. I haven't tried it myself, hence cannot say for sure if it works.

Alternatively, if your then favourite apps were also available on Android, there are many Android emulators available which can run Android apps on a computer. You may want to try that too. On the positive side, Android .apk files are relatively easy to find.

Hope you are able to play your old games again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.