Running os10.3.3, can't startup in 9!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jomer, May 29, 2004.

1. jomer macrumors newbie

May 29, 2004
    I currently have 3 HD's setup in my G4 500MHz Dual. One running 10.3.3, one that I formatted blank with OS X's Disk Utility, and one storage drive hooked up to a ATA133 card. I want to have OS9 on one drive and 10 on the other. Seems like a simple enough request however even after disconnecting the drive with X, I can't startup with the os9 cd. I just get the no viable system folder flashing question mark. I even tried disconnecting ALL the drives on my system just to see if I could startup from the cd (holding down the c key of course) and I get the same error. Was the mistake formatting the blank drive in 10? Perhaps firmware is not letting me go back to 9? Do I have to format the drive on a comp running 9 and then bring it into my system? Please help Thanks.
  2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

Jun 6, 2003
    Solon, OH
    EDIT: OOPS, I misread the original post. That being the case, I don't know how to help.
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Jomer said that he can't boot from the MacOS 9 CD.

Jomer, the format of your hard disk should have no effect on your ability to boot from a CD. The most likely explanation for your problem is that you are trying to boot from a non-bootable CD. If you are trying to boot from an upgrade CD, it won't boot. You have three choices: you can use a standard installation CD for MacOS 9.1, MacOS 9.2.1, or the System Restore CD that shipped with your Mac. Be warned: the the latter CD will reformat the target HD and restore it to its shipping state from Apple.
  4. jomer thread starter macrumors newbie

May 29, 2004
    let's hope

Thanks Mister. I'll give it a try.
  5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    You might also want to check the jumper settings of your CD drive. If it's set right, you should be able to boot off of a bootable CD. Try it with an OS X disc, and if it works, try a different OS 9 CD.
  6. jomer thread starter macrumors newbie

May 29, 2004
    What would the proper jumper settings be for a factory drive?