Running Panther On a 333MHZ iMAC

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by xSDMx, Nov 22, 2003.

1. xSDMx macrumors newbie

Yes you would most likely tell me to use "search" and I did read the other posts, I have never used a mac in my life so I really would not know what to do. I just won this mac. I was wondering what I would have to do to make this Panther "suitable" if I have to upgrade the HDD could I use external? Also what ram would you recomend? Also is there anyway I could just install it even with it is it's condition. What would I have to do to trick this out for cheeeeap? I just found a perfectly boxed 256mb ram stick. I checked crutial and it has the same specs as their G3 ram I remembering using it in my HP aloooooong time ago. Thank you!

--Thanks

xSDMx of
    www.drlonline.com

2. xSDMx thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm darm it seems that my sig pic is not working. I guess I am just too darn use to phpBB.

3. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

congrats on the winning bid! the strawberry imac is one of the 5 flavor imacs that were released in 1999. and as you can see on the panther system requirements it is compatible with 10.3.

i would recommend picking up another dimm to max it out to 512 memory. you actually may be able to upgrade the processor to a G3 600 or a G4. check out powerlogix for the iforce G4, or check out sonnettech for a G3 600 and firewire port combo. yeah, i'm sure you don't want to spend any additional money upgrading this machine - but lots of people are still using older lombard and wallstreet powerbooks and loving it so you never know.

as far as the HD goes - i'm not really sure where you can pick up an upgrade. since you don't have a firewire port, you won't be able to do the external firewire thing.

take heed though. this machine is gonna crawl with panther. won't be horrible. as long as your not doing more then internet and word processing stuff, your golden!

4. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

oh and i think you need at least 128 meg of memory to get panther going. the system requirements on apples site state that you need a dvd-rom mac with firewire equipped. but i think thats just for the dvd player app. panther actually comes in 3 cds. i would play around with os 8.6 before doing a FULL install of panther too. os x is soo much better - you'll appreciate it much more. actually while you do that, play around with xp before running panther too :D

5. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Yeah, my campus is full of Purple iMacs 333Mhz all running Jag. Panther should run better than Jag on these models though. I wouldn't mind having an iMac for $200. Never can have too many computers :)

6. xSDMx thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh, wow thanks for the great responses! I am soo use to "anti-mac" forums that even though they are about PDAs they talk about that stuff. I never thought Mac forums would be nice. Awesome. I'm use to getting flammed for too many questions....and I WAS THE ADMIN!!!! Wow, I guess I'll stay around these forums. A quick question where does the firewire go on that external motherboard? Maybe I'll spend some cash upgrading it. Also do you think that my 256mb card will work? Would a movie crawl or server managment? Could I have a network drive from my linux/xp/2003 lappy on it for storage? Thank you! Man $199 for a mac and a superdrive funny thing was last time that person sold that it went for $305!

7. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Firewire thing on the external mobo

http://www.sonnettech.com/publicfiles/pdfs/pdf_onlinedocs/english/mac/harmoni_qsg.pdf

Acording to the picture, it seems the upgrade come with a new side plate of port thingies.

The RAM is a standard PC66 144 pin SO-DIMM, so your RAM would need to be of similar specs

If you get that processor upgrade card and your RAM is usable in the machine, I think it will be pretty speedy. Probably comparable to a 700-800Mhz Pentium 3 running Win2000. Maybe more...
    As is I wouldn't thing there would be any problems with it. Maybe multitasking would suffer, that if you're using it for server management, multitasking wouldn't be to high in priorities. One note though, if using it for server management get Panther Server, since it comes with extra network management apps.

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/

I believe Laptops use 2.5" harddrives and Desktops (like the iMac) use 3.5" drives. I'm sure you could find an adapter of sorts. I did find some external solutions
    (USB)
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=506073&sku=D13-1004
    (FW)
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=614523&sku=C221-1030

Oh and it comes with a Superdisk drive which is like a 120MB floppy disk, while the Superdrive is the name for Apple's DVD burner. Enjoy your new Mac!

8. GraphicUmp macrumors member

Yes, the iMac (5 flavors) uses PC66 144-pin SO-DIMM RAM. But you can use PC100 or PC133 - it just will only run at PC66 speeds.

It takes a standard hard drive. You can find a 20 GB at PC Microstore for $34.

9. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

will panther run on a 233 wallstreet powerbook (jag runs fine) (no usb)? i know apple says it wont but i know people that run it on 233 rev a imacs

10. FightTheFuture macrumors 6502a

FightTheFuture

a 233 wallstreet? that might be pushing it. i would try partitioning your harddrive and dualing a dual boot to see if it'll function. and i'm sure there are hacks to get it running.

11. GraphicUmp macrumors member

Actually, you can't install Panther on a Wallstreet (this hardware not supported). Yet.

Ryan Rempel is working on that - keep an eye on XPostFacto.

12. Bunzi2k4 macrumors 6502

hey this might be helpful, i think at powerlogix... well anyways i found for $350 you could upgrade ur imac to 900 mghz g3... an upgrade and mayb a 256 meg ram should be more than enough to run panther

13. GraphicUmp macrumors member

And at technowarehouse (the former managers at Newer Technology) you can get a G3/500 upgrade for $199 and a 256 MB SO-DIMM for $70

14. xSDMx thread starter macrumors newbie

I got my mac fine and it worked 3 times, then after playing some "dino" game i turned the mac off and tried to turn it back on but it stopped working! I recently tried to pop it open to insert some ram but I just closed it up. :confused: :mad: :eek: