Running Powerbook with lid closed *without* monitor

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Deslock, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Deslock macrumors member

Is it possible to keep a Powerbook running with the lid closed without connecting it to an external monitor? All the webpages/threads I've found suggest you need an external monitor plugged in. For example:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=88064

I want to be able to ssh to my powerbook or keep downloads going while I'm away from the laptop and if I can close the lid, I don't have to worry about my cat or 3-year-old messing with it. I've tried disabling sleep mode, but that doesn't seem to override closing the lid.

Edit: forgot to mention that I am plugging it in.

2. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Plug an external mouse or keyboard to your PowerBook. After closing the lid, hit Enter/Return or click the mouse button of whatever to wake it back up. That should work even if no external monitor is connected.

3. Deslock thread starter macrumors member

Good suggestion... I'll try that. However, is there a way to do it without anything (other than power) attached?

4. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Nope. You'll need external keyboard and mouse.

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

Well, you should be able to unplug the mouse/keyboard once it's awake.

6. pdpfilms macrumors 68020

pdpfilms

just keep in mind, an open lid allows much more head to be dissipated than a closed one.... and overheating is bad.

7. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

Of course there is a way to do it without a keyboard and mouse. All you need to do is use this program: http://binaervarianz.de/projekte/programmieren/kismac/download.php and then go to the sleep tab in the preferences and then check the box that will prevent the computer from sleeping.

It says that it only works while the program is running but if you force quit the program I have found that the sleep prevention setting is still enabled. ;)

By the way it says it only works when the power is connected yet I always use it when the power isn't connected and it still works.

Hope this helps.

8. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

On my PB I couldn't find any difference most of the time, and even running SETI it had an average of .8 degrees F difference...I would say run it closed.

9. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I don't know if this is just an urban myth, but:

When the laptop is closed the heat that normal goes straight from the base of the laptop to the air has to travel through the screen. While it doesn't have a big effect on the heat of the CPU, I've heard that this excessive heat can damage the sensitive components in the LCD screen.

10. GodBless macrumors 65816

GodBless

I use the KisMac program (as I made a link to earlier in this thread) to run my computer while the lid is closed and I have never had a problem with my LCD screen.

11. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

The PowerBook is designed to be able to run with the lid closed. It should not damage any components unless Apple has done a major f-up.

The iBook is another matter. I don't know if it's also designed to handle it.

12. Deslock thread starter macrumors member

Hmmm.... that program looks interesting, however, I still want sleep to work when it's not plugged in as I never shut it down (and running it without ventilation inside a laptop case = very bad).

Also, the idea of modifying the kernel with a 3rd party patch scares me a tad... I'm a recent switcher and I'm really enjoying having a laptop that "just works" all the time. I'm probably just being a sissy... but with Linux, for some reason I never really worried if messing around broke something. And with Windows... well, it was always temperamental to begin with so I felt like I had nothing to lose :)

Anyway, I appreciate all the responses... it's good to learn something new and maybe I'll try out that program at some point.

13. thezanman macrumors newbie

I am running a patched kernel (half from other people, half myself) and there is honestly no difference (minus the changes you make). Everything runs just as it has, and your shiny new apple wont seem any different ;). I dont know any specifics, but I have heard of some people using the loadable kernel modules in order to not tamper with the kernel and still allow them to make their laptops sleep resistant.

Good luck :)