Running Shoes?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by polevault139, Jan 4, 2007.

1. polevault139 macrumors 6502

I wanted to know some opinions on running shoes. I was looking at Nike's because I get a pair every track season. I was wondering if anyone could tell me your brand prefrence, I thought some change and insight might be nice.

As a side note I pole vault and I just cleared 13'6" yesterday (3" away from state, even though sectionals are 4 months away). Are there any other pole vaulters out here is MR?

Any recommendations on PV spikes???

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Wow, that's a sweet pole vault! Congratulations! :)

Are you looking for track, road, or cross-country running shoes?

I have Saucony (road). They were one of four or five recommendations that suited my running style (one other one was from Mizuno, I think the other two may have been Brooks and...erm... I forget. :eek: )

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

For me New Balance has been great. They offer solutions for a slight pronation that I have and they're by far the best shoes I've used. I used to wear Nike, but I simply could not find a pair that did not make my arches hurt.

4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I've run mainly with Adidas shoes in the past, and I bought some Nike Moto+ shoes last year to match my iPod, and dang. Nice shoes. They held up great through all my training for the Chicago Marathon (on asphalt), and are still in decent shape. In the Spring when it warms up and I start running outside again, I'll probably buy another pair of them.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well done on the jumping. I do track sprinting and I always think you pole vaulters look like a herd of lazy lions, stretched out by the mats. You guys seem so relaxed. It's great. :D

Or vaulting...

For track and road, I'd recommend Asics almost every time.

6. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

It depends on how much support you need. I'm running in the Brooks Adrenaline right now - a pretty good all around shoe.

Get to a real running store (not a big-box store) and ask the experts. The store should have a treadmill for you to try them out too.

I like to research from www.roadrunnersports.com and buy from www.holabirdsports.com

Have fun, winter running is the best.

7. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

I'd say Mizuno's are the #1 running shoe...and Asics are close behind. But Asics are way cheaper. I can buy two pairs of Asics for the price of one pair of Mizunos.

8. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I love New Balance and probably won't buy any others any more. I have wide feet and the New Balances come in many widths - I've never had issues with them. Nikes tend to be a little too narrow for me.

Right now, I'm running in 12 EEEE :D

D

9. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

very nice job! keep it up!

i can run in just about any shoe. right now i'm running in some nike+ shoes. nike usually has some lighter shoes (which i like)

asics are good for cushioning though

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I'll use Brooks shoes, if they're available and Asics, if they're not.

I've tried New Balance because they were recommended but they hurt my feet.

11. michaelsaxon macrumors 6502

This is such an individual choice that any opinion is likely meaningless, but I overpronate so I prefer New Balance and Brooks. Nike has not traditionally done well for me because of their high arches.

Find out your foot type and then choose either a stability, motion control, cushioned, etc., type of shoe based on that. Good running shoe stores will let you try them out on a run.

12. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

My wife is a runner an she's always liked Asics. She's tried others and always gone back to them.

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

you are correct. it is an individual choice, and i think it's hard to find good advice about it on this forum

14. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

For me, New Balance shows were the worst shoes I could imagine to run in. For walking, New Balances are great, but for running...they just injure me.

15. polevault139 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the insightful replies. I'm going shopping on Sunday and I think I'll try out some New Balance or some Asics. I'll be sure to tell you guys when I break the 14 foot mark. Hopefully that will be Wednesday when I vault next.

16. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

good luck! are you vaulting indoors?

17. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

New Balance has never given me any troubles. Just make sure that you get some quality insoles.

18. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I like that about New Balance. Like so many other runners, I have very wide feet too, so Asics work perfectly for me. However, I'd probably avoid Asics if my feet were more dainty.

19. bemylover macrumors regular

+1

You should spend quite some time in the specialized running store, trying many many different shoes on. If you can't choose from 2 great pairs, put one shoe from those on each foot and compare that way.

20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Another vote for NB. I don't know how they work in the shower, though.

21. falcon1 macrumors regular

falcon1

What would you recommend for a pretty flat foot person?

22. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Some orthotics. Then, get any pair of shoes that is comfortable with the orthotics. :)

23. irain macrumors regular

irain

24. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

If you do long walks like I do, New Balance makes excellent shoes. :)