Running SimCity 4

Discussion in 'Games' started by ghall, Jul 2, 2006.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I'm thinking of purchasing SimCity 4, and I was wondering if it will run okay on my 12' PowerBook G4.
    I'll post my specs if that will help:
    Mac OS X 4.7
    1.5 GHz PowerPC G4 processor
    GeForce FX Go5200

I know it's compatable (I checked the Aspyr Game Agent), but I just want to know how well it will run. Also, is there going to be a Universal Binary for that game, because I'm not buying ANYTHING that's not UB or is not going to have a free UB patch/update. Thanks.

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

It should run alright – it runs reasonably well on my iBook, but is it going to be a UB? We don't know right now – the reports conflict on whether it will or will not be.

3. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

I have it and it runs OKAY, but not great. It's just a mammoth of a game.

4. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

As of now, Sim City 4 is not an UB (not that it matters for your PowerBook G4).

The game runs fine on my 2.3GHz DP Power Mac G5 w/ 2.25GB RAM and a 256MB DDR ATI Radeon 9800 XT.

When playing the game under Rosetta on my 2GHz MacBook Pro w/ 1.5GB RAM and a 128MB DDR ATI Radeon X1600m it runs ok (a little sluggish, but fine even on the largest sized cities).

So all in all, the game should be fine on your 1.5GHz PowerBook G4. :)

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Thanks everyone. Maybe I should just wait until the UB patch is officially announced. I obviously don't need it now, but I like being on the safe side.

6. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Why wait for the UB to be released? It will offer no performance improvement for your PowerBook G4. Sim City 4 is already optimized on run on a Mac with a PowerPC processor. And even if you have to run it under Rosetta, it can be done and game play will still be enjoyable. :)

Skipping Sim City 4 in my opinion is just causing you to miss out on a great game. :eek: