Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
So my trusted old nano 1st gen is dying and i need a replacement. Most important task is tracking of running with Nike+iPod. In addition I listen to music. These are the only features I need. Price doesn't matter.

So which gen iPod nano should I get? I still see a few 5th gen nanos available in shops.

5th or 6th gen which is best for RUNNING? I don't care for video or any of that.
:apple:

BrennerM

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
The answer is: it depends. :)

If you are the type who changes tracks a lot while running I would recommend the 5G because of the physical buttons. But if you just put on music and go and rarely touch the iPod while running, I would recommend the 6G because it is so small and light.

rpang

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2009
So Cal...
I use mine for running all the time. Had it since release day. I usually create playlists so I dont need to access it as much when running so I can deal with not having physical buttons readily accessible. I like how it can clip on to my running shorts and not even notice it there, or I can clip it on to a wrist strap and wear it like a watch. Only downside is routing the headphone cables through your shirt. Luckily, its cold now so I've been running with long sleeve shirts and jackets, so I barely notice my headphone cable routed through my shirt.

playstationdork

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2007
Only because you said price didnt matter

I know you said nano, but i'm ignoring that.

Nike+ GPS on the iphone is the best. You don't have to wear nike shoes, buy the sensor or sync with your computer. It seemed like every time I was on vacation the sensor would start to fail and I would have to try to track down an apple store to buy a new sensor. Now I don't have to.

You also can wear any shoe for running and not have to use a sensor wallet since there are no sensors outside of the iphone.

But really the best part is that you don't have to wait 5 minutes for the sync to occur if you want to see it on the nike plus website. It happens otomatically.
mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.