Running windows programs on mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by JBot, Jan 9, 2006.

1. JBot macrumors 6502

What options are there? At school we recently got a few needed programs for class, but they are all windows based. I have looked into virtualpc, however for 150$ or so, its really out of my poor student budget. Does anyone have any suggestions?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

well look for mac software that can do the same thing. if u cant afford VPC then you are out of luck..sorry.

Bless

3. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Don't forget that you must also pay to get Windows!

4. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Search these forums for 'epepper9' (no quotes), there should be VPC thread. I have recommended Guest PC, which is advertised everywhere on this site and iEmulator. I don't think they are any more than $30-$50. And $150 for VPC is good, that equals $225AU. It's $300AU over here (last time I checked. :(

5. solaris macrumors 6502a

solaris

6. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Yeah I also have to mention (which I think I did in another thread), that unfortunately bochs (or bochs based) emulators are unbearably slow from what I have heard.

7. JBot thread starter macrumors 6502

i picked up the minimal vpc product, without the windows os disk included. It said in all the product reviews i read that you needed to own the complete os, however, i figured i would try with the disks i have. (that being microsoft 95, 98, me....[woops] and finally xp. all of these disks were the free upgrade disks you recieve with your computer.)
    I put in the xp upgrade disk, it asked me to put in the full version of any prior os of theirs, i put in the me upgrade, and it installed itself.
    Thus concluding that you dont need to front 250$ for a version of windows, where the upgrade are minimal costs, meaning 50-70$.