Windows Running witcher 2 on bootcamp

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by violinist67, Jan 17, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I recently bought a 15" macbook pro with retina display. I mostly want to use it for school but i also want to play games on the side. I really want to play the witcher 2 but all i see online is ranting about horrible performance. I was wondering if i ran the game with windows 7 on bootcamp how well the game would run?
    These are my specs
    intel core i7 2.6 ghz
    8gb of ram
    nvidia gtx 650m graphics card (1gb)
    i heard there was a driver issue for the 650m but is that only for running on mac?

Also i have an xbox 360 so is it possible that it will run better on that?

2. MRU
    macrumors demi-god

MRU

Your 650M and decent CPU / memory in the rMBP should allow you to run the game at decent settings at 1920-1080p at around 30fps.

Don't run in Native retina resolution ( it's too high )

Yes it will look better than the Xbox 360 version. (Which is equivalent to a Sub 1280x720 resolution, low-medium settings, 20-30fps gameplay)

Run at high settings, do not try running with Ubersampling - this is for massive GPU's in SLI style mode. It kills performance on nearly all but the most elite systems.

3. macrumors regular

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok ill just buy the game since its only $20 so it's worth risking that it might not work.

5. macrumors regular

There's no "risk" involved. It ran well even on last year's model. You not only bought an extremely powerful computer but an upgraded model of it, so I'm surprised you don't know that already. :) Enjoy!

I'd suggest waiting a bit though because its frequently been going on sale for about 7 dollars recently and should again soon.

6. macrumors G3

Huntn

You can't believe everything you read online. :):) I've got a 2011 MBP and it runs all the big name games wonderfully- Planetside2, Skyrim, GuildWars 2. Disclaimer, no it does not run them at top resolutions.