Running with Lid closed on PowerBook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by endoscient, Jun 27, 2005.

1. endoscient macrumors member

I want to try to run my computer with the lid closes. Everything works fine (as per instructions). But I have a VGA LCD monitor, and the resolution that it sets the monitor defaultly at is out of sync. Any idea?

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

If you get a picture you can work with, you can set the display preferences for the external to something that suits you in the display preferences pane. The PB will remember the settings for the next time.

3. endoscient thread starter macrumors member

I have hooked up to display in mirror and span mode. Disconnected and followed directions for operating with lid closed, and it went back to 1024x768.

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Be warned that you might have heat problems. I'd suggest monitoring the temperature.:)

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

You have to set the display preferences for the external monitor while you are running with the lid closed, i.e. in the mode you intend to use it. Then it will remember the setting. I do this every work day with my PB and it works great.

As for heat problems - I haven't had a problem, but just in case, once the external display switches on and I'm running, I open the PB lid about 2 inches.

To close down at night, I close the lid, unplug the display, then the USB keyboard/mouse, wait a few seconds and it enters sleep mode.

6. kant macrumors 6502

Running with Lid closed on PowerBook??

Well, it's probably not as bad as running with scissors, but could be more painful. Lets face it - you fall with scissors and odds are against you getting hurt. Fall while running with your powerbook and, regardless of damage to you, the PB is going to take a hit. Probably enough to kill it.

Why on earth would you want to run with your PB anyways?????

:D

7. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

I've run my PB closed and connected to a 20" Cinema just fine for hours in class. No temp issues for me.

8. endoscient thread starter macrumors member

The problem is tho that I can't open it up, because I can't see anything.

9. blodwyn macrumors 65816

OK, I don't understand the problem you're having. Can you post a step by step guide of what you're doing, and what happens.

Here's what I do...

1. Connect power connector to closed PB, which is in sleep mode
    2. Plug in ethernet cable
    3. Plug in USB keyboard and mouse. PB makes waking up noises (disk starts working, sleep light goes out)
    4. Wait a couple of seconds and plug external display in
    5. Wait a couple of seconds and press a key on the USB keyboard
    6. About 5-6 seconds later the external display switches on and I'm up and running