Runway? We don't need no stinking runway.

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, May 31, 2005.

1. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Kudos to the pilot. :)

'Course the next step is to screw land completely and land on air!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

LOL, the trick is not so much learning how to fly, but forgetting to land! :D

When I was at Textron, there was supposedly a lot of activity around a civilian version of the Osprey.... I wonder if it would ever achieve a business case. Boeing also had a vision at one time that air travel would fragment with more and more regional / short-hop flights. I know that's not what the link is about, but VTOL/VSTOL is very much in line with that.... 'Twould be neat! :)

3. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That is really a cool picture. What surprises me is that there isn't an equal backup on the opposite side. Curiosity didn't seem to be at work. :eek:

4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Dear me, no. You just need to forget that you are flying, and you are. If you remember you are flying, and are therefore afraid of falling, you will fall. :p

The Ultimate Answer is 42, mind you.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Damn, I thought this thread was gonna be about supermodels. :(

6. mj_1903 macrumors 6502a

mj_1903

I'm sure there was some rubber-necking but doesn't everyone see a plane driving down the road every other day? :p

Very neat picture though. I wonder how fast they were going.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*turns on fake German accent* Vee have vays of correcting that problem, you know.... :D

8. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

9. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

If you read the caption the truck is towing the plane away after it landed on the highway. Not bad, consider this a lot of the Eisenhower Interstate system here in the U.S. has special sections designed to accomodate B-52 bombers in case runways are destroyed.

10. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

You're probably referring to the notion that 1 out of 5 interstate highway miles were designated as emergency landing surfaces for aircraft. Sorry, but that just ain't so.

Meanwhile, I can't view the picture--getting a "Connection timed out" error. Oh well, I'll try later.

11. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

We had a small pane landing on Highway 3 near Hope BC two days ago, ran into some severe weather in the Fraser Canyon.