Rush: "I feel liberated"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by trebblekicked, Nov 12, 2006.

1. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

Link [themoderatevoice.com]

So W doesn't deserve to have his water carried by Rush anymore. Does the hate for the GOP run so deep that the Talking Machine is going to turn it's back on it? And why, now, should his listeners trust him, if he's essentially saying he's been a shill for people he doesn't really believe in?

If the rest of the talking machine (Hannity, Bortz et al) follow suit, how does that bode for the GOP in '08?

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Questions for Rush:

Why the hell were you carrying their water if you don't feel they deserved it? Why defend those you feel are indefensible?

What does this tell us about you if you feel you must defend the GOP no matter what, even if you don't think they deserve it? Why should anyone ever believe anything you say ever again?

3. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

He's admitted to being a party hack/tool. This is not news, but the candor is striking.

4. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Reading the whole transcript, he seems to have no idea (or at least doesn't care) that he's a huge hypocrite. I know, shocking isn't it. But it's actually pretty telling. People like Rush believe the ends justify the means. So he's basically saying it's ok for him to support people and things that are against what he stands for because in his mind it's still better than the Dems, no matter what.

Pretty much the definition of a partisan, and the reason you can't trust a word he says even if you agree with him... not that you could anyway because of all the lying.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I think it's Rush's way of telling us that he's got a bladder infection.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, I mentioned this elsewhere. I was kind of surprised to hear him say it too. I guess it took the exasperation of seeing his party get its butt whipped for him to say, in one moment of candor, that even he thinks at least some of the people in the Republican party are wrong.

What is truly frightening, however, is that if you go to Rush's full transcript, it appears that he believes the GOP lost because it was not conservative enough. I'm not sure if Rush just wants less spending and less government, or if he's suggesting we "failed" to make the transition all the way to fascism. But it is a sentiment I heard mentioned several times, by several different conservative pundits, following the election.

Absolutely clueless, and totally out of touch with America.

Attached Files:

7. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's unsurprising to me. The Democrats spent decades fighting a similar internecine war over the heart of the party. Even now it's difficult to tell which faction won. We'll find out over the next couple of years. Meanwhile, the Republicans get their turn in the wilderness, blaming each other for how they got there and arguing about the way out. Since the social conservatives are the dominant wing within the GOP I'd expect them to be the more powerful force in formulating a party strategy. They'll probably get another chance to appeal to the party base in '08. If they lose that election, then the old superstructure is vulnerable to demolition. But for now, the hard Right within the caucus will almost certainly speak the loudest.

8. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

For the Simpson's fans in the house this reminds me of Kent Brockman's "I, for one, welcome our new Insect overlords." The GOP got it handed to them so Rush is adjusting his POV accordingly. If the GOP does good in the next round of elections I'm sure he'll happily "carry water" again and forget his current state of liberation.

Lethal

9. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The Republicans always claimed to be for at least restraint in the growth of government, and to be better able to control government spending. This last six years, they've acted more like the tax'n'spend type of Democrat.

Regardless of which side one is on for the issue of illegals, the Republicans were in power insofar as "doing something". They didn't do.

The messing up in judgement of the post-combat phase in Iraq hurt, obviously.

Sure, the Patriot Act was a bi-partisan thing, but the management of the TSA is a Republican thing, and folks don't like how airport security is handled.

The U.S. is a religious country, overall, but many religious people don't like the radical fundamentalists.

It seems to me that if the Democrats stay somewhere near the middle of the spectrum, they'll do okay. I don't think the more-left ideas will fly; they've generally been repudiated by the majority of the voters.

One thing for sure: The Democrats are on their way to fish or cut bait...

'Rat

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Certainly the Democrats will have to produce, but the question is what they will need to produce. They will undoubtedly want to advance some social and environmental legislation (and undo some from the last ten years) but I suspect the main production over the next couple of years will be investigating the many dark corners of administration that the current Congress has been conspiring with the White House to hide. If they turn over some spades of earth to reveal the Bush administration to be even more venal and incompetent than we already know, then I believe they won't have to accomplish a whole lot more before '08 to win.

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"...investigating the many dark corners of administration that the current Congress has been conspiring with the White House to hide."

It'll be interesting, for sure. I have visions of all concerned checking to see how many skeletons each side has for bargaining chips. :)

"I'll see your illegal campaign donation and raise you one motel tryst."

'Rat

12. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

I can't believe anybody listens to this blowhard. Rush knows nothing.

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I'm still trying to figure out when having an affair became equivalent to selling your vote on legislation.

The number of people screwed in each case is vastly dissimilar...

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I expect most of these investigations to center on the planning for and conduct of the war, not motel trysts. For example, the Republicans in the Senate have been sandbagging the report on the administration's prewar use of intelligence for a couple of years now. I'd expect that report to see the light of day quite soon and to find out just why it took so long to complete.

15. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Well, that gets my vote for quote of the day. :)

16. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"...the report on the administration's prewar use of intelligence..."

Yeah, for sure. It'll be interesting to see who has it, whether or not anybody will admit to having it, etc. And how much shredding has already happened. Court orders, lawyer-arguments, all the usual ducking and dodging.

atszyman, it's not a matter of equivalency. It has to do with who has how many previously-unknown peccadillos which somebody doesn't want to have made public. Doesn't want the wife-mate to know. Quien sabe? It might be a matter of who has the most FBI files. Pardon my cynicism, but I imagine that the degree of enthusiasm for investigating will be a function of the Purity of the Past for some. There's a shortage of Senator Sam Erwin types, seems to me.

'Rat