Rush Limbaugh being investigated for drug misuse

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dethl, Oct 2, 2003.

1. dethl macrumors regular

http://www.nydailynews.com/10-02-2003/front/story/122839p-110349c.html

http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-091001vicodin.story

Seem's Rush has a problem with OxyContin, Lorcet, and hydrocodone. And its a big possibility he nearly lost his hearing due to it (See 2nd link about hearing loss and Lorcet).

A little reading on the nydailynews.com link brings us this:

<i>She claimed that a lawyer for Limbaugh gave her a payoff - $80,000 he owed her, plus another $120,000 - and asked her to destroy the computer that contained the E-mail records.</i>

Rush could be in some serious trouble should this be found to be true.

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I guess it just shows what happens when a conservative caucasian male takes on the liberal media.

I think its mighty ironic that everyone flipped out at Limbaugh's statement about the black quarterback; isn't this indicative of their being much truth to his statement?

On another note, I find it amusing that in the last year two conservative radio talk show hosts, with an enormous combined listening audience, did so poorly on TV. One could conclude they are not fit tv or worse yet, not read for it. However that is not it at all.

What really happens is that the liberal media doesn't want a conservative talk show host on its programming, and when a conservative talk show hosts goes the next step and takes on his opponents, i.e. the propogators of this bs with the black quarterback, they just couldn't handle it.

Not only amusing, but also ironic: a man makes a statement about the liberal media, and it is the very liberal media that would see to his television defeat.

May your televsion career RIP Mr. Limbaugh

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Haha... if what Rush said was correct, why did he resign? Cuz he doesn't like to fight for his principles?

Seems like the fact that he resigned is proof he was wrong.

Besides, this article is about Rush's drug habits. I wonder how all the morally superior conservatives feel knowing that Bill Bennet is a high-stakes gambler, and now that Rush is a junkie. Does it get any more ironic?:D

4. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Because he was being gangraped by the liberal media covering the nonissue.

Rush is an alleged junkie as of now mactastic; besides if this woman's story was even halfway credible, she would not have sold it to the Enquirer, which we all know to be a very reliable newspaper coughcoughtabloidcoughcough

:eek:

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Oh pardon me, an alleged junkie. Just as you are an alleged moderate. And gangraped is a pretty strong allegation. I've seen a lot of outrage, but AFAIK, Rush's cornhole is still intact. Rush has a right to say his piece, and we have a right to send him packing if we don't like it. Or perhaps you think free speech only applies to those you agree with?

And as far as the Enquirer goes, they may not be the most reputable rag, but they have broken a story or two in their day.

6. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

tazo,

it seems every time I read a post by you in the political threads there is something to do with the "poor, put-upon" white male. What does any of that have to do with this story? The only thing of interest in this story, other than another celebrity going to drug rehab, is the possible hypocrisy of Limbaugh. After all his anti-drug rants over the years, it is worth noting that he may have been among the drug users he publicly detested.

It is all well and good to work on your own "liberal media" rhetoric to use in dismissing anyone else's argument, but it doesn't change the fact that Rush is being investigated on drug charges. If the media's reporting of that fact constitutes "gang rape" then we have two very different dictionaries we are working out of.

Lastly, tazo, do you follow football? There are probably two dozen teams in the NFL who would switch quarterbacks with the Eagles at the drop of a hat. My own beloved 49ers among them. Limbaugh's comments only showed he doesn't understand the game and that he has to inject his own political and racial bias into everything he participates in. If Limbaugh and Savage are your idea of sensible conservative commentators then perhaps that shows more about where your own "moderate" politics are really coming from.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

At least we agree on something.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Uh-oh... looks like even FOX news is reporting this now. Sometimes the Enquirer gets it right....

Coughcoughrushisintroublecoughcough

9. K4NN4B15 macrumors member

//sarcasm="on"

ITS THE LIBERAL MEDIA!!!

Its just a little perscription opium and herion.... not like hes smoking Marijuana or anything......

//sarcasm="off"

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

He had to do hardcore opiates and insult a QB because he was black because of the liberal media?

He dug his own grave.

11. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No, McNab led his team to two NFC titles. He's one of the best scrambling QBs out there. He's not overrated, and the only people who want to see him do well are football fans.

Rush is the only one pointing out his race.

Otherwise, pro sports are an unique island of racial tolerance in an otherwise racist world. Rush came along and upset the balance. He deserves what he got.

And O'Reilley and co. are liberals? They do just fine because they the play ringmaster, walking the thin line between entertainment and politics without crossing over and becoming the story.

Wha? Sports broadcasting is liberal TV? WTF??? ESPN doesn't give a **** where you stand on political issues or what you think about the liberal media, they're telling you who drove in the winning run last night or who scored the hat trick in the afternoon game.

He said a horrible thing, injected race and politics into a non-racial issue and won't apologise. Again, he dug his own grave.

12. wwworry macrumors regular

Liberal media??! Are you crazy? All of AM radio is conservative. Fox TV is conservative. 58% of newspapers endorsed Bush for president. The other tv networks are centrist.

All you hear about is the "liberal media" from conservative commentators but you never actually hear liberal media.

13. raschild macrumors member

The Palm Beach DA's office will neither confirm nor deny the investigation. This is all alleged. Rush says he hasn't even been contacted about any investigation. I'm not going to believe until there is hard evidence.

coughcoughjumpingtheguncoughcough

14. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

What reputable story have they actually broken? And if the stories they broke were so great than why must they pay $100,000+ for em? Riiiight

And the usage of gangrape in one of my previous statements is an analogy....

Name one conservative talk radio personality that has lasted on TV.....Exactly. Both Rush, and Savage, two individuals had shortlived television careers but continuing prosperous radio careers.

Something is up with that....

As of now there is no evidence of any truth to the allegations of drug abuse and the rehab account. I can't believe no one is pointing out that the woman was most likely paid by the enquirer for falsified information.

Considering that the police have yet to officially accuse Rush of drug abuse or possession of drugs w.o a prescription says somethign to the fact that you are all jumping the gun when you accuse him of being a drug addict.

No I do not follow any football teams besides my own HS's.

And I have said previously and will reiterate this again: I do not listen to Rush on the radio; and rarely listen to Savage since I do not get reception on my stereo

And trust me, I like nothing more than to sit down and watch Bill Maher's show when it is on, just as much as I enjoy watching some of the political talk shows on tv as well.

Who is we? The executives that have the power to fire individuals like Limbaugh, Savage?

As for the free speech issue, I can only laugh at this. In my personal experience, liberals have been more apt to expunge support for free speech, whilst at the same time eradicating all but speech in support of their views. Not to say that I have not seen a fair amount of conservatives use such a tactic, i.e. hypocritical speech.

Can you elaborate on this?

In conclusion I think that before everyone having an opinion on this issue jumps to conclusions, we should wait for verified factual information to surface, otherwise we are just getting worked up over falsities. And of course we know where that gets us....

15. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Two issues in this thread. The drugs? "All I know is what the newspaper said." So, I'll wait and see how much is true, how much is exaggerated, whatever. If true, I have no sympathy. He was old enough to know better.

As far as his comments on ESPN, they were better off left unsaid. I'm not that whelmed by McNabb, although I'll agree he's a good quarterback. I tend to agree with Limbaugh's comment about the defense being more responsible for the Eagles' success than McNabb.

It IS true that the media in general often gets carried away about wanting more black quarterbacks and more black coaches. Trouble with that is, the NFL only has one real criterion: "Can he win?" Some white guys can; some can't. Some black guys can; some can't. One major factor in winning or not winning is personality: Can this wonderful, bright-guy coach fit in with "the system"? Same question for some star quarterback. "Talented, but couldn't fit in" might well describe Buddy Knox, as a white-guy coach. Miami's running back (Ricky Williams? Sheesh! Drew a blank!) as an example of talent that didn't work out at New Orleans.

But in today's world, anything that can be construed as derogatory will be twisted into that, whether intended or not.

'Rat

16. nospleen macrumors 68000

nospleen

I do not think that is the NFL's only criterion. If so, then the NFL would not have it mandatory to interview a black head coach for every head coaching vacancy. They would want the best coach period, whether he/she is black, white, asian, etc... I know they want to make sure black coaches are considered for the job, and I commend that. However, I would think that the owners who have hundreds of millions on their minds, would go with the best coach available.

17. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

I'm willing to admit the Eagles have not been playing well, but its not McNabb's entire fault, his offesnsive line is not holding up well and they are letting the defense get to him, and with so many players being traded away the line is patchwork.
    McNabb is played becasue he is good, not because he's black, Rush is dead wrong, yes AJ and Koy are both good backups but they don't have the skill that McNabb has, thats why they put him in, its not politics. The last thing we need is politics taking over sports.

18. MacRumorSkeptic macrumors regular

Haha... if what Rush said was correct, why did he resign? Cuz he doesn't like to fight for his principles?

Seems like the fact that he resigned is proof he was wrong.

If you listened to his reason for resignation, you would understand that it was because his fellow cast members were uncomfortable with the controversey. By the way, management at ESPN defended his statements and Rush himself has defended his statements on his radio show and other public announcements.

Besides, this article is about Rush's drug habits. I wonder how all the morally superior conservatives feel knowing that Bill Bennet is a high-stakes gambler, and now that Rush is a junkie. Does it get any more ironic?

First of all, the drug charge is only alleged and we don't have enough details to make any kind of call. Secondly, not everyone is perfect, just because people may have character flaws, it doesn't discredit whatever message they espouse.

19. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Bennett's message was morality and moderation, neither of which he exercised in the process of losing over 8 million to heavy gambling. His message is discredited.

link

20. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

As for the entire drug thing. Come on, it is the Enquier for God's sake. Give at least some time for something to happen in court, IE be arrested before people label him a junkie.

As for McNabb, did you see the statement, or read the statement?

If you saw it, you understand how it was said, and the entire opinions context. NOT just one quote that everyone wants to jump on. As for McNabs stats.

He has an overall rating this year of 51, and for his carrer 77.5! That sucks so bad that it is unreal.

In comparison, Steve McNair is at 110 this year, and over 80 for his carrer. To compare. Friggin crap from past, now football God Tommy Maddox has an 84.8 rating.

He made an opinon. That sports media, and the NFL want a successful Black QB. What is a shame is McNair (who I think is the best QB in the game) did not even make the pro-bowl last year. Rush made a point, and frankly, I think he is right. They want a darling QB that is black that they can rally around. There is nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. I think it is needed. But I don't think McNabb is as good as he is billed.

21. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

tazo, didn't I say "may" and "possible" enough in my last post? Sure it is possible that it is all made up. I don't much care if he is a drug addict or not, other from the view of the possible hypocrisy of his past rants against drug users. My question is why you leap to his defense as a "conservative caucasian male" against a "liberal media" that is intent on "gang raping" him. Just a tad over the top, tazo? Since when isn't it news when a celebrity is investigated for drug abuse? Why should Rush be any different?

As to Rush's comments on Donovan McNabb, if you admit to not following football why the assumption that Rush is right in his bringing race and politics into an evaluation of football talent?

Upfront, tazo, let me say I have no use for Limbaugh or Savage. I think they both have made a living appealing to the worst instincts of humanity. They propagate fear and hatred of others and get paid for it to boot. I glad you listen to other voices, but the rhetoric of the "liberal media" and "gang raping" is straight out of their playbook.

22. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i find this whole ordeal appalling, not knowing much about it. i'm suspicious of claims about his drug usage. i'd assume that at the very least any problem he may have had was blown unimaginably out of proportion in an effort to find something bad about him. i can't believe how prominent this is in the news. i saw a news label ask the question "IS RUSH LIMBAUGH A RACIST?"

a more appropriate question might be, does the guy that made up this quip have an IQ of 73? if i accuse someone else a racist, does that make me one? no! at the very worst, it makes me paranoid about racism.

how can people make such a big deal about this stuff? European opinion blames george bush far to much on the joke that is america. it's much deeper than the president.

23. Desertrat macrumors newbie

I watch sports on TV, but I don't pay any attention to the yak-yak ABOUT sports. I thus found it interesting that an article in today's WND brought out several sports authorities' (? I guess. I dunno who they are, but Sports Illustrated folks make their living talking about sports.) comments from the past which pre-supported Limbaugh's comment about McNabb.

IOW, the yap-yap about Limbaugh and "racism" is BS.

Which is to be expected, of course.

Edit add: Karen deCoster sums it up nicely at
    http://www.lewrockwell.com/decoster/decoster94.html

'Rat

24. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    live by the sword-die by the sword.

rush and the enquirer are the ying and yang of reporting/entertainment.

wonderfully ironic ain't it?

25. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

that's a sharp little truism, unless you stop and think about it. there's nothing ying and yang about them at all. they don't go together, and they don't contrast as polar opposites. rush limbaugh expresses his opinions as opinions, and the enquirer publishes the stupidest crap it can find as fact.

rush limbaugh doesn't make a living by making unfounded claims about people's drug habits or otherwise defaming people based on speculations about their personal lives.