Rush Spills Beans on iTMS Subscriptions for Podcasts - RUSH content in this thread.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by yg17, Mar 8, 2006.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Oh, goodie, I can't wait to get rush on my iPod :rolleyes:

Does the subscription come with a free bottle of oxycotin? Or did he hog them all again?

2. Avicdar macrumors regular

So being a ring wing blowhard makes you a new media leader?

3. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

Please put the politically charged comments in this thread, and leave the main news thread clean to discuss the real topic.

MAIN NEWS THREAD

4. dashiel macrumors 6502a

jesus i haven't listened to that blowhard in probably a decade, but he's as arrogant as ever, not to mention still contradicting himself and outright lying about every other sentence. case in point

contradiction
    last i checked flawless does not allow for "a few little programming tweaks"

lies
    last i checked the majority of content available in itunes is paid. yes, yes podcasts are free, but if rush ain't gonna make that distinction why should i. furthermore, ricky gervais does have a paid pod cast.

spurious
    i call ******** on this. i bet dollars to doughnuts apple had nothing to do with this. that all they've done is create some sort of private RSS feed. paid podcasting is going to be a big deal not some sleeper release from some has been.

5. macFanDave macrumors 6502a

Actually, no. I've been getting The Al Franken Show from Air America Radio on a subscription basis via iTunes for about a month. The three-hour show boils down to about 1 hr 52 mins without commercials and station IDs for which I pay the princely sum of about $0.25/show.

This would make the liberal/left-wing/progressive movement the leader in this field, although I'd be prouder if their accomplishments were in the fields of health care, education, world peace, civil liberties, transparent government, social justice, environmental responsibility, energy policy, equal opportunity, port security, crime prevention, but not shooting people in the face and telling the police to go away until you sober up (I'll let the right-wing have a lock on that one!)

6. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I wonder if they'll rank his show against the free ones. Guess we'll see on Monday. My guess is he'll probably get more downloads than any of the free ones. I just hope Apple releases the stats.

7. danielwsmithee macrumors 6502a

Rush

I consider myself very conservative but Rush just seams to me like he is more about his own glory then anything else. Just my thoughts on Rush. I guess it could be the other end of the spectrum Air America Radio. I've found myself listening to a lot more BBC now then anything else. They seem to be much more objective then any of the news stations we have here in the states.

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

20 million people listening a week makes you a media leader.

9. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

There was no contradiction. He said subscribing (the process) was flawless. The tweaks could easily have had to do with other issues in the broadcast, such as them not being allowed to use theme music because of copyrights and other issues.

There was no lie... Rush was podcasting before iTunes offered the service. He wanted to put his show on iTMS when podcasting was released and there wasn't a way to do it without making it free. For a long time, this was the case. From other comments in this thread, its changed over the past month or so.

And as for supurious... Rush always talks about how hes the greatest thing since sliced bread. Its half tongue-in-cheek, and I think he really believes the other half. But its part of the thing that makes it fun to listen to.

You don't have to agree with or like him, but at least don't misquote him.

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Exactly. Like him or not, he is HUGE in the world of media.

As for my own thoughts on Rush, he annoys me. I actually agree with him on some things, but he comes across as arrogant and rude a lot of the time. I find left-wing/liberal people in media even worse that way though. Al Franken in particular is somebody I never care to hear from again.

Like him or not, Rush is a very vocal Mac fan. Before Tiger came out last year, he was talking about how excited he was about it.

11. dashiel macrumors 6502a

that has absolutely nothing to do with broadcasting issues or copyright. it's a technical requirement plain and simple. if there are programming tweaks and tests to be conducted it is not flawless period.

i said that his stating that content on itunes was free is a lie. most content on itunes is not free. to state otherwise is a lie.

12. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

The subscription process CAN be flawless without everything being ready for release. As an illustration, I could subscribe to a magazine and say the process of subscribing was flawless without saying that I think the content or design of the magazine itself was flawless.

When he said the content was free, he was taking it for granted that his listeners knew he was talking about the podcast section. Anyone with common sense understands what he's talking about.

13. dashiel macrumors 6502a

you don't work in the IT field do you? subscribing to a magazine and "subscribing" to a podcast are not corollary examples. subscribing to a magazine describes an agreement between two or more parties. subscribing to a podcast, or email list or anything to do with electronic transmission of content deals with specific technical requirements. fact. if those requirements are flawless, e.g. i open itunes, enter my password and it works flawlessly then the service is ready for launch. if however i feel that there need to be tweeks and testing then the process is not flawless.

14. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Frack. I thought this was about Geddy, Neil and Alex.

What means "Rush Limbaugh"?

15. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

No, I don't work in the IT field. But I use the English language everyday and I know a contradiction when I hear one. Anyone giving a fair reading to that paragraph would not accuse him of contradicting himself. And its spelled "tweaks." You don't work in the spelling field, do you?

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

not sure i buy into this notion that popularity equates to leadership.

17. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Well he's generally considered to have pretty much single-handedly revived talk radio and the AM radio dial. Other radio talkers refer to him as "the godfather."

Wiki

18. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I've rethought my response to this comment. I think its just cause you don't like Fox News (who kills other cable news in ratings) or Rush (who laughs at liberal talk radio attempts). When you're in a business whose job is to get ratings, then numbers have to indicate some kind of leadership.

Just cause you don't agree with their content doesn't mean you can't recognize they are good at what they do. Even if you wish they wouldn't do it. ;)

19. dashiel macrumors 6502a

oh dear a spelling mistake on a web page. horror of horrors. as with most sheep who suckle at the teat of a pedantic, telegenic presence you clearly can't deal with the fact that one of your ideological peers has been caught in a contradiction. this isn't up for debate, spin it anyway you want his subscription is not flawless no matter how much you belabor the point. furthermore, and i guarantee this, it will never be flawless. internet + passwords + purchasing = no way in hell it can be flawless, stating so just shows how ignorant rush is of technology in general. but of course his ditto heads will extoll the virtues of their techno god while handing over fistfuls of money to a drug-addict, philanderer. of course they'll forget/forgive all that because, hey it only counts if you're a liberal drug addict, fornicator.

20. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

thats funny. but i bet i made you use spell check this time huh? lol.

When I click the link on monday to subscribe, $5 says its flawless.

And I love that this "isn't up for debate"! LOL!

21. hob macrumors 68020

hob

Hey! If you subscribe now you get a free book:

Why Liberals Fear Faith

I can't believe Apple would push this guy!!

22. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Hey, I'm a liberal. I didn't know I was supposed to fear faith. For cryin' out loud, nobody ever tells me anything. :rolleyes:

As far as Apple pushing Rush...unfortunately, that's business. Plus, can you imagine the outrage from the right if Apple refused to carry his show on principle? There'd be tons of testosterone spent on decrying "liberal bias".

Meanwhile...

From the other thread:

Yeah, Rush would never deliberately mislead anybody. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Or take drugs illegally. Or send his maid out to buy drugs illegally for him. Or go to some namby-pamby wimpy liberal rehab center. Wake up, folks-this guy's an egotistical hypocrite who's laughing all the way to the bank on the ratings you give him. Why anyone continues to listen to this fool is beyond me.

BTW- by his own assertion, shouldn't he have gone to jail for that nasty little drug habit?

24. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I didn't get that memo, either. What's up with that? I mean, I really want to conform to the ditto-head view of the world, but if they're not going to tell me what I should believe before I start believing something else, then how the heck am I supposed to manage it?

Sheesh.

Obligatory eye-rolling to follow.

:rolleyes:

25. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Or run to the ACLU to protect him. Or call himself an "entertainer" when confronted with the whole morality/hypocrite thing. I've listened to him, there have even been things I agreed with during the Clinton years (though making fun of Chelsea was low, even for him... and yet he throws a hissy about how family is off limits when the Bush twins act like the Hiltons). But I sometimes wonder if he even believes anything he makes up. He's a failed sports commentator who learned how to make money off of the conservative character he created. He's the Howard Stern of talk radio, playing to his audience for popularity. It would be sad if he wasn't such a miserable jerk in real life.

I wish I had a falafel tag line like with Bill O'Reilly, but I can't think of an oxycontin joke. For those who actually think he's any good: http://mediamatters.org/issues_topics/people/rushlimbaugh