Russia Says It Warned U.S. Saddam Planned to Attack

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Jun 18, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

a real thing? or is putin doing bush a favor?

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Keep in mind, Putin thinks of the media as an outlet for official statements, not a forum for free discussion. I'd chalk this up as likely, but consider the source. All Putin is really looking for is justification for Chechnya.

3. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I don't for a minute doubt that Saddam had plans to carry out these kinds of attacks against the US. I'd be surprised if these weren't attack plans drawn up as a response to his perception of US threats to overthrow his regime. I don't think even Saddam was stupid enough to launch such attacks at the US before a US invasion. That would have been tantamount to political and physical suicide. Does anyone think that if a terrorist attack against the US could have been tied to Saddam that we would have immediately moved troops into Iraq, and with the support of the rest of the world? If the Russians really have proof of these plans, then we need to know if any of them were ever tried to be carried out and what was the timing involved in the creation of these plots.

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I hear the US has "plans" to invade every country in Europe, let alone elsewhere. Doesn't mean they will.

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I don't have any proof of this, but doesn't the U.S. military have plans for invading just about every country on earth? It's all just theory (usually, although we've invaded more countries, probably, than any other country on earth).

6. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i guess yes ...because of the same reasons the US army stores the biggest amount of foreign uniforms (which are forbidden to use in a conflict but t ostore them is not forbidden :rolleyes: )

7. Desertrat macrumors newbie

The Pentagon wargamers' job is to think the unthinkable--or, at least, the improbable. They have plans to invade everybody, probably. And, just guessing, plans involving US/China against India or Russia, or US/Russia against China, etc. This sort of "What if?" has been around since the concept of Games Theory first became seen as part of war planning.

Stipulating Putin's comments are factual: I can see him bypassing the State Department. I'm guessing he'd figure that it's indeed the sieve we know it to be, insofar as leaks. Probably gave the info to either Bush, directly, or through SecDef.

'Rat