Russian Army Saves The Beer

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. James.Paul macrumors regular

What the article didn't tell you was that they probably came out to rescue two kids drowning in the river further upstream, heard about the beer and that was it. Forgot about the kids!!!!

You've got to love the Russians for their passion for alcohol. I think it was a while ago they found some bloke who'd passed out after a bender and they took a blood alcohol reading which turned out to be four times higher than what any person has survived before. I bet his head was sore when he woke up (a week later!!!)

3. iGav macrumors G3

it'll be beautifully chilled though won't it... ;) :D

4. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yep! And the company said it would be selling the beer at a discount and as a speciality beer. I wouldn't mind getting a bottle of that :D

D

5. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hehe talk about on ice...i wonder if the river water got in, could it have polluted the beer

good to know the russian armed forces are doing somthing other then getting involved in chechniya

6. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Finally, real news!

Priorities are a beautiful thing, man...

7. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Now that the experiment went as planned, they will give the go ahead to stock russian submarines full of canned beer.

So, the next time a russian submarine unexpectedly sinks at the bottom of the sea, help will be on the way much faster.

8. James.Paul macrumors regular

9. Flickta macrumors 6502

Nice joke. Let us all thank srobert on behalf of 118 sailors who were on-board the submarine the last time... They can't enjoy his humour now.

-----------
    Why THIS was the news from Russia that made it to macrumors? Why are reponses so gentle?

10. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

I'm very sorry and surprised my last comment could upset people. This was my personnal way of criticizing a governemnt that I thought had not done enough and soon enough to help the submarine's crew. It was my way to tell they should re-evaluate their priorities. I guess I should have sticked to my resolution in not discussing politics publicly. I actually did tought of those 118 crewmen while writing my post.

I'm usually a pretty mild and behaved poster and don't participate into politics, religious, patriotics or other sensitive topics. Feel free to browse my posting history and you'll see this is an isolated incident.

You have my most sinceres excuses if I have in any way done you wrong. Let me know if you want me to edit or remove my previous post.

11. Flickta macrumors 6502

No, that's ok to criticize our government. We do it all the time, esp. now, after the elections to the parliament. Just the form...

BTW, common assumption that all Russians are alcoholics and what not is wrong. It's like believing the picture you may have seen in Armageddon movie - on-board the Russian space station... Get to know more about our country. Go visit us!

12. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Thanks. Glad to see I did'nt do too much damage. And if you think that russian are unjustly perceived as alchoolics, you should see the way we canadians are depicted on american TV and movies. ^_^ Oh well. I don't mind, I think it's actually kind of funny. We DO have better beer up here though. Hehe... just opened another risky topic. ;)

13. Flickta macrumors 6502

Yes, a big mistake. Our beer is the best! Well... cheapest... some sorts are 30 cents a bottle...

__
    Russians are unjustly perceived. Tradition, since the Cold War. Our patriotic movies depicted you, dirrrty capitalist pigs, as worthy enemies, though. :)

14. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Let's strike a deal. We'll just say that the beer get's better the farher away you go from the equator. :)

(the extra 2-3% is waht keeps us warm)

15. Flickta macrumors 6502

That's one good proposal. But then, there is Alaska... :confused:

16. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Well... it used to be russian territory prior to 1867.

17. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Have you ever had an Alaskan Amber beer? Its not bad at all. Actually, if you're even in Anchorage, there's a bar down town called Humpy's (named after the salmon) that has a very impressive array of beers on tap - several beers made in state.

American beers were really bad when Bud, Miller, Coors were the major brands you'd find everywhere. But in the 90s things have totally changed. The Micro brewery explosion has provided a diversity in beers that is quite mind boggling. And everyone has their favorite, so its not really about American, European, Russian beer.

Come to DC some time and go to the Brickskellar - they're in the Guiness Book of World Records as having the most beers at a restaurant (usually 1300 different types) and they have another bar across town called RFD that has a wide selection of beers on tap. Good stuff!

D

18. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Ahhh... so much beer and so little time.

I like almost anything that's not bitter, light, dry or tasteless or thicker than tar.

19. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Wiser words have rarely been spoken....;)

What is your current favorite?

I've recently bought Guiness, Bass, Leffe Belgian Blonde Ale, Starbrno (Czech Lager) - and Chimay.

D

20. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

My favorite at the moment is Smithwicks, by the pint. (by the way, you should'nt pronounce the "w") It is brewed by Guinness.

I also have grwon a liking of a local blonde called the "Griffon" from the Mc'Auslan brewery.