Russian Gymnast Says Women's All-Around Was Fixed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by MacNut, Aug 22, 2004.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

Jan 4, 2002
    Khorkina Quoted as Saying She Might Have Won if She Was 'From America'

MOSCOW (Aug. 22) -- Russia's Svetlana Khorkina, who was second to American Carly Patterson in the women's all-round gymnastics competition, has accused the judges of robbing her of the gold medal and said "everything was decided in advance."

"I'm just furious," Khorkina, who had been favorite for the coveted title, was quoted as saying in the daily Izvestia. "I knew well in advance, even before I stepped on the stage for my first event, that I was going to lose."

"Everything was decided in advance. I had no illusions about this when the judges gave me 9.462 for the vault after conferring with one another at length.

"I practically did everything right, still they just set me up and fleeced me," she said in the interview published on Saturday.

Asked why she felt she was marked down by the judges, Khorkina said: "You better ask them. I think it's because I'm from Russia, not from America!"

When Khorkina won her silver medal on Thursday, she showed no outward signs of disappointment and said: "I think it's the best day of my life."

The Russian was also favorite for the all-round title four years ago in Sydney, where her hopes were dashed after she crashed to her knees from the vault. It was later discovered the horse had been set five centimetres too short.

She said she was hoping Sydney's experience would cause the judges to be more sympathetic to her plight in Athens -- her third and last Olympics.

Asked if the American was a worthy opponent, she said: "I've seen a much tougher opposition than her. Let's see how long she can remain on top. Can she keep going and compete in two more Olympics like myself."

"No, well, you better write that Patterson is a great champion and she has a great future," she added sarcastically.

Khorkina confirmed that Athens were her last Olympics but she wants to remain in the sport.

"I'd like to work for the International Gymnastics Federation. These competitions have shown the sport needs a lot of changes," she said. "It should be judged primarily on grace, elegance and beauty rather than simply on mechanic tumbling."

On Sunday the Russian will compete in her last event -- the uneven bars, where she is hoping to become the first gymnast in history to win three consecutive Olympic titles on the same apparatus.
  2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Sour grapes.

Her mat routine wasn't the best, either.

It's easier to say 'it was a fix' than to say 'I wasn't good enough'.

Puts her back as the centre of attention...
  3. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    The judges were pretty overly generous to he on the uneven bars.... I say just stop complaining. You're the second best. Deal with it.
  4. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    What a sore least she got a medal whereas many athletes go to the olympics and walk away only with memories...she should be more than happy with a silver.....
  5. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    Well, maybe that's why you lost, sweety. :rolleyes:
  6. Calvinatir macrumors 6502

Nov 8, 2003
  7. suraj macrumors member

Feb 25, 2004
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    considering what happened to her in sydney I'd say she's got a pretty good case.

let's be honest, competitions (the olympics in particular) have been fixed before and this year is no different.
  8. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hey im sure that sometimes people may have been robbed in the past

but lets give the judges teh benefit of the doubt
  9. kerb macrumors regular

Jul 26, 2004
    Lancashire UK
    the russians fixed the moscow games big time

swings and round-a-bouts
  10. Counterfit macrumors G3

Aug 20, 2003
    sitting on your shoulder
    That's exactly it. Do any of you think Tyler Hamilton was thinking "I'm not going to get a medal" as he was in the start box? Of course not, Eki and Bobby J weren't either. If you don't think you'll win, you probably won't.
  11. bigsteve3 macrumors member

Jul 16, 2002
    I realize I might be stepping on toes here, but Khorkina's always looked bitter/depressed to me whenever I've seen her perform. Her face is always blank, and her smiles seem a bit forced. I've noticed that many of the Eastern European athletes don't seem to be the happiest wonders about the difference in personal and coaching philosophy over there.

Back to Khorkina: Although she is more elegant and artistic, she's naive to think that you can rate artistry effectively with a number...numbers in themselves are technical. Judging is in itself technical, and if you can't perform certain gymnastic tasks with precision, it shouldn't matter how beautiful you look in the process. Also, she doesn't seem to acknowledge that many times in gymnastics scores don't quite match the perceived performance. It's arrogant of her to assume that all the bad decisions happened to her and that she is the only one who could have been affected. Quite frankly, I was hoping she would win the gold, because she is a veteran and has worked hard to get this far. But, after comparing her performances with Patterson's, I think the judges made the right decision.

I definitely think Khorkina has the whole American attitude thing down pat, though: whining and complaining after the fact and then using the media to propel herself into the spotlight.

12. shecky Guest

May 24, 2003
    Obviously you're not a golfer.
    in russia, gold medal robs you!

either way, whining about a silver medal, [fessic] thats not very sportsman-like [/fessic]
  13. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    That is certainly not the way that an athlete should act. By thinking that she didn't have a chance from the beginning is bound to have hurt her performance. It would seem that to do your best, positive thinking is very important.

I agree with others that she is exhibiting classic sour grapes.
  14. CanuckGold_2002 macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2004
    In Sydney, she plain outright got doubt about it, but this time 'round, Carly was way better - her own performance wasn't that great - she's a master at disguising misktakes - the crowd loves her, but the judges can't always be fooled.
  15. macsrus macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2004
    Terra Firma
    These really are young people who dont usually have a very good focus on reality.... Since they spend almost all their life training...

But it is sour grapes....
  16. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

May 26, 2003
    Chicago area

Very well played!
  17. amin macrumors 6502a

Aug 17, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Am I the only one who thinks Khorkina's body looks grotesque in motion? It's amazing that someone with a body so apparently nutritionally deficient can perform such physical feats without fractures.
  18. Stelliform macrumors 68000

Oct 21, 2002
    According to my wife watching the Olympics, she fell off the uneven bars and didn't make it to the podium in the individual competition. I guess she isn't as good as she thinks she is.
  19. DJY macrumors 6502a

Dec 20, 2003
    Canberra AUST
    Regardless of which country any poster in here is from...

I think it is a shame.
    She has been a great champion.
    She had amazed, dazzled, and performed at the highest level for the longest time (in a sport that 19 used to be old!).

After many years of winning at all levels... after an unfortunate experience in Sydney... it is a shame that she finishes like this...
    and then to fall off bars in her last major competition.
  20. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Just another whiner.

She, and people like here, are the reason the Olympics are starting to suck.
  21. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    Off-topic, political discussion has been removed. If it persists, the thread will be moved to the political forum.
  22. bigsteve3 macrumors member

Jul 16, 2002
    Does it bother anyone else that Khorkina went so far as (apparently) to put on the façade of being smiley, happy and patriotic about winning the silver? She initially was cheering, waving her flag around, and bowing/waving to the crowd after the results.

It seems a bit two-faced of her to do that and then, after the fact, make these accusations...
  23. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

Jan 30, 2004
    having a drink at Milliways
    it does sound like sour grapes: does she even have some specifics on her claims? where/when exactly was she robbed?

On the other hand, am i the only one to think that Hamm should give back his gold to the korean guy? I mean, he objectively had the highest score. Doesn't Hamm feel uneasy about keeping the medal?
  24. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    So, she's not mad that it was "fixed" she's just mad that it wasn't "fixed" for her? :confused:

25. Mantat macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2003
    Montréal (Canada)
    At the Barcelona games, a newspaper did a indepth research about corruption and they found that more than 85% of the judge were buyable. For some the price was prety low (bellow 10k) while others asked for 50x more.

Of course, this may of may not have anything to do with the girl winning gold but still... Now that the athlete are mercenaries working for cash as much as glory, what else to expect?

If you want a great read, look at the story of the olympic in the 1900-1930 range. of course, the performance were lower then, but the spirit was 10x bigger...