Russian Localization for OS X

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Analog Kid, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Analog Kid macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

Anybody know where I can get a Russian localization for OS X?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

System Preferences->International->Languages

Attached Files:

3. USMaC macrumors member

USMaC

4. Analog Kid thread starter macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

Nope. That gives the preferred order of localizations to use, but OS X doesn't have the Russian language files... iTunes goes Cyrillic after doing that, but not Finder.
    I think that's the stuff... I'll get it downloaded and let you know for sure. Спасибо!

5. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's odd. Japanese works out of the box but not Russian? I can only imagine that they don't expect many people to use Russian but at minimum, Finder should be supported in every language in the list without a download.

I tried it but it doesn't warn you that you don't have all of the files you need. Perhaps, you should send feedback.

6. Analog Kid thread starter macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

I tried installing the files from apple.ru, and they're only valid for 10.4.7, not 10.4.8. Not worth rolling back-- I'll check in again later.

I wonder what would have happened if I'd installed this in 10.4.7 and then updated to 10.4.8...

What's even more odd is that earlier revisions of OS X (through 10.1, I think) included the Russian language files, and then later updates removed them.

I'm not sure why they included them and then removed them, and I'm not sure why they removed them only to provide them for download from the Russian site. I wonder if OS X sold in Russia includes them by default, or if you need to speak a supported language to install it far enough to launch Safari. Best I can guess is that it was removed to save space in the install package-- or Apple decided to stop doing the translations in Cupertino and farmed it out to their Russian office. Not like there aren't enough Russians in California to do the work though...

I've submitted feedback to Apple on this in the past. I don't expect little 'ol me to have much impact on their releases though...

7. USMaC macrumors member

USMaC

I originally installed this under 10.4.7. After the update to 10.4.8, the localization is still working as it should.

Next time I am in the Apple Store here in St. Pete I will ask them about it, and if they know of files that will work directly with 10.4.8.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

That's so weird... are you really sure that OS X doesn't have Russian loc's built in? Did you try rebooting after changing the language order preference? I'm pretty sure that when you first start a newly installed OS X, Russian is on the list of languages from which you can choose at the very beginning....

9. Analog Kid thread starter macrumors 68040

Analog Kid

Rebooting didn't do it.

When you change languages it tells you to log out and back in-- in fact I think I would just need to force-restart finder. The localization files are chosen on startup according to the system preference.

10. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I didn't have any luck with it, but then, I just logged out and logged in again. Since it only affects the GUI (single user mode?), it should have worked but Finder doesn't seem to have the localisation files. It makes me wonder if Greek would work since it uses yet another character set.

11. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you check Apple's support website about languages, it states that unless the language you are interested in is among that first list of 10 or 12 in System Preferences->International->Languages, OSX does not come with that language. It lets you add one of hundreds from another list, but that only gets the apps to use that language if they have that particular localization. I am not in front of my Mac, but it seems like Russian is not supported.