russian sub in danger!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by stubeeef, Aug 5, 2005.

1. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Russian mini sub crew stuck in 600+ feet water, prop entangled in fishing nets. Crew had 22 hours of O2 earlier in the day, US, UK, and Japanese in race to help!

Please say a prayer for the brave men in that sub, and the brave men and women off to their rescue.

Link

2. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

at least the Russians asked for help this time... good to see that they are learning from the Kursk disaster

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

The ghost of the Kursk...

At least this time they contacted the US and Japan almost immediately for help...still, the Navy will have to fly a submersible out in a C-5 or C-17, which will probaly take 10 hours or so at minimum (loading, flight, unloading). By the time they get it in the water they will probably only have enough time for a single dive before the air runs out.

The Super Scorpio ROV that the US is sending may be able to free the sub from the nets with it's powerful arms, attach a cable to lift the sub, or perhaps deliver an additional oxygen supply as rescue efforts continue.

But they better hurry...

4. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Indeed, and given the efforts the government has been making to stoke national pride over there I'm kind of surprised. I'm glad they realized there's no pride in condemning their sailors to death if it can be helped.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I was thinking the same thing. One good thing is that there aren't as many people involved this time - and its actually a rescue sub itself thats stuck.

I just hope the ROV that the Navy is sending down is going to be able to do the job. From what I've read lately, all the trawling nets and cables littering the ocean floors have become more and more a problem all over the world.

D

6. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I use to hunt these guys, they are a brave bunch to get into some of the hardware the Russian Govt gave them to use. I flew over a couple of subs in the late 80's that were in distress, and would pray for the deliverance of my enemy, that they would be safe.

For many here, it is not just the Kursk, but a horde of these. The US has a an incident or 3 as well. These are not just a brave bunch, but often the brightest as well. The hardest program to enter, would probably be a tie between NASA astronaut and the US Navy as a Nuke Sub Captain.

7. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Did you fly ASW? I'm assuming you were a P-3 pilot?

Fascinating. I always wanted to fly, but my family flat out refused to let me join the military to become a pilot, and since then I've turned to my other life's ambition...archeology.

I work with a guy who used to be crew on a boomer....he always told us that getting on a sub was pretty tough, it was a select bunch of guys with above-average techical skills and mental toughness.

I'm not sure what they plan to do to free the sub, but I hope it succeeds. Another disaster of this type would be a huge blow to the Russian Navy.

8. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I was a cold war mission commander and aircraft commander on a P-3 orion. Then I was a post coldwar mission commander and aircraft commander on the EP-3E, for the same sqaudron that ended up in China 4 or so years ago.

I work with some Nuke 'bubbleheads" and we poke fun at each other, but their IQ's have to me a multiple of mine. Scary sometimes.

9. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This looks bad

A US C5 carrying an ROV is expected to leave San Diego in an hour, according to USA Today. But after landing in Russia it will have to be trucked to a ship and taken to the site. A British submersible is apparently already en route and will be first on the scene, at the site ready to dive around 5am tomorrow...right about the time the crew of the stranded vessel are estimated to run out of air...

I'm afraid that all they'll be able to do by then is bring up a coffin, unless the Russians get lucky and dislodge the craft by dragging nets (which they are attempting to do now).

Hopefully they underestimated the amount of time the crew can survive down there. There's also the question of how quickly the sub can be freed once the ROVs get to work.

fingers crossed, but things look bad.

10. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

this must be awful for them. i was purposefully not counting the hours so that i would not find out how dim the situation was. 1 of 7 hyperventalting could make the situation just plain bad.

is there a point you take yourself out to help the others? how awful to say that outloud.

11. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Breaking News:

BBC's ticker just announced that a tow line was successfully attached to the sub...

12. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

YES!

13. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Link to BBC article

Apparently they are trying to tow the sub into shallower water.

No word yet on the status of the crew...

At any rate this will make getting an ROV dow there quicker and less risky.

14. iGav macrumors G3

I've been following it on BBC News 24, and the reporter has basically suggested that at the moment they cannot be sure of this (even though it's come from the Russian Pacific Commander) because the Russians have a habit of "lying" (his words, not mine) in such circumstances, and gave the Russian Atlantic Commanders statement at the time of the Kursk incident that everything was fine as an example.

Hopefully though, what's being reported is accurate.

15. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I've read the same thing...it seems certain that they HAVE sent down a Russian submersible that HAS made contact with the stricken sub (though not necessarily its crew) and is at least TRYING to tow it. Maybe it is working, maybe it isn't, nothing definite beyond that at the moment.

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My prayers are with the sailors aboard the AS-28 mini-submarine. Hope that the rescue will be successful. It's a sign of increase cooperation. I pray that the Scorpio can arrive in time and have a successful mission.

17. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

18. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Awesome! I'm sure there are seven families that are very happy the Russian gov't asked for help immediately, this time around.

19. Jedda macrumors regular

Jedda

20. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

That is really good news.

Its nice to see coutries working together.

I never knew the word "ensnarled" was a word until now!

21. stubeeef thread starter macrumors 68030

stubeeef

I have been following this via internet, on vacation, limited non-cable tv. But I feel like the time the coal miners were rescued in W Va a few years back!
    Good Job to everyone!
    This is the kind of thing that pumps me up, what a great Sunday Treat.

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

glad to hear that they are all alright, nice to see cooperation like this

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Imagine what the world could do if it stopped making wars and building weapons. I have Dream!

24. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

oh i know what you mean, reminds me of Lennon's song Imagine too, that would be an amazing state of being to live in, but what can you do right?