russians build new nukes, possibly the shield-avoiding kind

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 17, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

i remember the 70s and 80s, when all of north america being nuked was a very real threat. are we going back to that?

2. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Or, to look at it another way: why should the US have all the fun?

3. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

well, that puts the last nail in the coffin of any meaningful non-proliferation treaty...

Pathetic. Both countries at least vocally acknowledge the new threats faced in the 21st Century (terrorism, urban warfare etc) and that a new paradigm is needed to effectively deal with them. That said, they promptly continue with the old one.

The only plausible (or not overwhelmingly frightening) explanation for this, is that it is geared towards China.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I think the best course of action for the Russians is to make sure that anything they develop at this point is secure - I just hope the tech doesn't get out of the country.....

bleh

D

5. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Just what the world needed. A new arms race between the US and Russia.

This is such a clear example of misplaced priorities--and entirely the fault of the Bush administration's short-sighted decision to scrap the ABM treaty to funnel new funds to their backers. Our military is ill equipt for the job it
    _does_ (peacekeeping/nationbuilding), and overly equipt for a job it doesn't do (fight other armies). Maybe that's why we haven't won a war (the whole war) in 60 years.

6. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Bush has ignited a new arms race with all his stupid policies, way to go george just what the world and the U.S doesnt need.
    I would guess that this new russian missile will be some type of low flying scramjet type of thing like a superfast cruise missile that there is no defense for. Missile defense is stupid for the most part because you can spend billions like we have and its still easily defeated. Diplomacy is much cheaper and works just as well or better. So hear we go again, George did not learn the lesson of vietnam , you know the war he and cheney dodged and he didnt learn the lessons from the cold war. Oh how the pentagon will be so happy to find new ways to squander our tax dollars on new military toys. :mad:

8. takao macrumors 68040

takao

why exactly is the US developing a missile shield (with rather small chances of hitting an incoming icbm anyways) ?

it's a lot cheaper to develop a better missile than to develop a better missile defense system....

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Campaign contributors in the defense industry.