?'s about 10.2 "Archive" install option

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by FattyMembrane, Aug 22, 2002.

1. FattyMembrane macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

i was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some information about 10.2's "Archive" option in the install. i read a little bit about it, but am still unsure of what exactly its features are. does it wipe out all of your hd except for the users folders that you specify? i've heard that it will keep everything from my old "applications" and ~/Library folder, but what about the global library and all of my os9 software? i'm assuming that if it keeps these things that it does not reformat the drive (did old clean installs do this?) but just want to be sure what will be axed and what will be spared. (system installations are my weak point, i ran 7.5.1 until a year ago):rolleyes:

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

3. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

It does a clean install of the OS, upgrades all of your applications, then copies your user settings and network settings to the new install. Any applications that when installed, copy things to the system folder, will not work, unless they can do an auto-repair (one of the smart things that microsoft did IMHO).

It is a nice option. I did a "backup all data, format drive, and reinstall everything" install with the GM. Point of note, I used the backup utility that .mac has to back up my new address book, and when I restored, my address book was empty. I luckily had a copy in my palm database, but it was not as uptodate. So beware. If you are using a jaguar DR, and want to do what I did, export all of your address out by hand, and do not rely on the backup utility.

4. FattyMembrane thread starter macrumors 6502a

FattyMembrane

thanks for the info. i'm guessing that this will leave all of my os9 stuff alone (not that i use it much anymore). will this erase my xwindows setup and anything else i have in /bin /include and the like?