S E R E N I T Y

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ravenvii, Apr 26, 2005.

1. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

S E R E N I T Y

Serenity trailer!!!

Go. Watch.

And haul yourself, and as many people as you can haul, to this movie on September 30! Anyone deserve a mountain of cash, it's THIS!!!

[spasms]

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hey that looks pretty cool.. is that related to that Fox show that disappeared before I could ever watch it.. Firefly or soemthing?

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

awesome looking trailer, now i want to go see it, what is this based off exactly? anything prior to this? books or what?

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

5. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

It's an awesome trailer, action packed. A little "Star Trek" and "Star Wars."

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

cool, now im intriuged, might have to pick this up between now and the end of september

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Looks a little geeky (from Joss Wheedon? Nooooooo.... :rolleyes: ) but its certainly visually stunning. :)

8. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Definitively gonna see that one, yes... :)

Wonder when it premieres in Norway...?

9. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I really hope this movie spins up a new series.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

so Serenity was supposed to be the opening for Firefly if i read that correctly, so now that Serenity is a movie which one is supposed to come first? :confused:

11. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I'd wager that this movie follows the series, since the big mystery seems to be "what's up with River Tam?"

And did it look to you like the actor who played River's brother (the doctor) was different from the actor on the show? Certainly looked like it to me...

12. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

never seen the show, which is probably why im confused, i just didnt know which would be better to see first.....but like i said earlier, ill probably pick up the show sometime over the summer....looks good to me

13. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Nope, same actor. They managed to get the entire cast back.

The movie definitely follows the show since the show has the very beginnings when River and Simon Tam ended up on FireFly, from the trailer it looks as though everyone is there from the beginning.

I don't think there will be another series. There is however talk of a movie trilogy. Personally I'd rather have the series back for 3 or 4 seasons but I'll take what I can get after the way the series was handled by Fox.

14. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Acting seems really uninspired. And no big name actor to draw in the crowds. Looks like a dud to the general movie-going audience.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

never heard of that series is i any good ? from the trailer i don't see much except cmputer effecs and shooting/fighting

and from the man who invented "buffy" and "angel" isn't really somthing which catches my interest exactly i always hated both shows

16. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

But it also look like a very thought through detailed Sci Fi setting... mmmm ... gotta love those visions of far and not so far futures - even if the acting is bad or the story is lacking (but please not both).

A

17. ravenvii thread starter macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yep it's based on Firefly. Going to be after the events in the show. Get the DVD set, there's only one season, so only one set to get, and it's not expensive at all. You'll be in for an amazing viewing. I completely missed the show when it was on Fox, but the Joss Whedon fan that I am, I picked the set up... and WOW. I can't wait for this movie!

And to the guy dissing Joss Whedon... drop dead. :p :D

To Lacero: [expletive]!

18. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Thanks so very much for posting this Raven VII . :D

Been waiting for something to come out after catching on to Firefly after the last few episodes on tv and then picking up the DVD's. One of my favorite shows of the time along with Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

19. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If it's anything else like the typical Joss Whedon experience Serenity will get under-marketed by Universal, released on too few screens, ho-humed by the critics, but still do good business in the theater, expand the current Firefly cult following, and make an absolute killing on DVD.

Lethal

20. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sounds like the same way The Chronicles of Riddick, another Universal film, was treated. Fans of Pitch Black went to see it, but that was about it.

21. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

It's got the Pirate from Dodgeball in it - who needs another reason!? (Also he was in "A Knight's Tale")
    Looks ok, but, ummm, girl is "chosen one" and kicks ass better than most, ..... sound familiar to anyone.
    Oh, but this one's set in the future, so it's like Totally Different! (Dark What?)

22. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Kinda, sorta, not really. ;)

Serenity is more like the anti-CoR movie.

Chronicles of Riddick had a huge budget (Serenity doesn't). CoR was *the* summer action movie for Universal in '04 (Serenity isn't out until Sept 30th). Univ marketed the hell out of CoR (they won't Serenity).
    CoR was marketed to everyone where as Serenity will be more focused on Joss Whedon's fan base. I dare say that the majority of people who saw CoR never saw Pitch Black (probably never heard of it either). Part of CoR's problem was that it had no audience. It alienated the PB fanbase because everything that made PB a good film CoR lacked, and it was just so generic it never caught on w/main stream audiences. Serenity, on the other hand, will be true to the series so at the very least you'll have "Whedonites", of which there are many, going to the theaters and later picking up the DVD (unless, of course, the movie just completely, totally sucks).

Even if Serenity turns out to be just a "decent" film I wouldn't be surprised if it generated more profit than CoR (boy did that movie just completely tank).

Lethal

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Anyone else think of that Seinfeld episode?

Serenity now!

Anyway, I was a big fan of the Buffyverse, so I'm a Whendon fan. But, just like Farscape, I didn't get into this show until it was too late. Thank you Fox. :rolleyes: Cancel shows like this and Wonderfalls for shows like Stacked and Life on a Stick. At least Family Guy is back... for now.

I'll probably still wait a bit until it's out on video. I'm not waiting in line for Star Wars though either. I'm not that bad. :p

24. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

From the trailer, it looks pretty good. Usually I like more subdued space movies; science-oriented ones like Stargate and Contact. However, I did like Starship Troopers and Pitch Black so we'll see.

I'd see it when it comes out on video.

25. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i thought of Sienfield too, i really need to get into some TV shows, hard when you dont have cable or anything to watch....but i think firely might be worth picking up, as well as some of the Family guy seasons....