S n o r i n g (not sleeping)

Discussion in 'Community' started by hana, Aug 21, 2004.

1. hana macrumors regular

May 23, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Since this is the time of year when a lot of folks lug part of their lives back to institutions of higher learning and are faced with habits of new roomies....thought I would ask.....what do you do about snoring? :eek:
    - Do you use earplugs? What kind?
    - Do you use those nose strips?
    - Do you kick your snoring roomie out of the room?
    - What do you do?

Everyone snores....it's just a matter of whether you're keeping some poor soul awake.....
  2. rhpenguin macrumors 6502a

Jun 10, 2003
    London, Ontario
    Well, I myself an a sound sleeper. It takes a miracle to wake me up most days.

But heres something to consider (even though its off-topic its somewhat relevant), I recently had an apartment that was like 10 feet away from train tracks. For the first month or so, i didnt get any sleep because all i could hear was trains (thank god the rent was cheap :p). After that, I started noticing that I didnt hear the trains as much but would just see my stuff start to shake.

So basically i got used to to the train and it stopped bothering me.. The same could be true about the snoring issue... With a little time an patience, you might become adjusted to the extra noise and it wont bother you.. Either that or get a set of wireless headphones and throw those on at night and have some background music vs. snoring..

Or if you prefer get some E.A.R. plugs. They come in a little blue package and can usualy be found in any hardware store. When i have them in i cant hear anything..
  3. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    I had a boyfriend who snored and yup, I got used to it.

But now I have a roomie when I'm travelling who snores. Unfortunately it's not the rhythmic regular snore that you can ignore but it changes every time and there's no way to sleep through it or get used to it.

I now have a 'sleeping' playlist on the iPod, full of restful, chilled out music and I go to bed listening to it whenever I share a room with this girl.
  4. joker2 macrumors 6502a

Feb 19, 2003
    DC area
    you suggest they go to the student health center to get tested for sleep apnea. CPAP machine cured me of snoring.
  5. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    You kick them every time they start to snore, and then their sub-concious will slowly submit to your correctional therapy....mwahahahahahahahaaa! ;)
  6. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2004
    My husband makes snorting noises. I have to wake him and get him to turn on his side. Problem is he sleeps on his back. Yes it wakes me up. I figure since I'm awake I might as well wake him up too! Am I bad or what? :D
  7. takao macrumors 68040

Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    hm i would suggest the same as before with the high noise level....
    i personally got myself used to high noise levels with clocks...i had around 3-4 loud ticking clocks in my room so that i could see the time without turning my head and got used to it and i had to share a room with my brother when i was younger...he was snoring as well... after that i never had the sleeping problems from my youth
  8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    If you become friends with your roommate, you can probably just throw a pillow at him and tell him to shut up. Make sure you're close friends first, though. Strangers don't like pillows thrown at them by someone they hardly know. :)
  9. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    I agree with others, that in most instances a person will become immune to such noises. I'm also a heavy sleeper. Also as suggested there are many over the counter like the nose strips that were mentioned. If the person is always tired it could be from sleep apnea. The most serious sign would be if you hear them stop breathing occasionally, they will usually take a real deep breath prior to start breathing. Then they definitely need to be seen ASAP. If you are concerned, it never hurts to get a checkup. In a young healthy normal weight person problems would be unlikely.
  10. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    My dad snores really really loud. He also uses Afrin, which I think may be the problem.
  11. macsrus macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2004
    Terra Firma
    Not so....

The young and healthy do regularly have sleep apnea also.

Genetics plays a role.... Everyone in my family has it....
    Being overwieight does not cause or contribute to sleep apnea... But it can contribute to the severity of it...

If people tell you that you snore .... and if they tell you you stop breathing when you sleep... see a doctor and have a sleep study done...
  12. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    That is why both of us have said, if a problem is detected then it should be evaluated. For most the treatment will fairly easy.

I'm sorry to hear that your family has been affected. Why type of treatment are you using?
  13. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Jun 3, 2002
    As long as you make it worth his while :)
  14. macsrus macrumors 6502

Jun 15, 2004
    Terra Firma
    3 of us have had UP3 surgery plus use CPAPs
    2 use CPAPS only
    1 does nothing about it...
  15. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Jan 1, 2004

He woke me up first, shouldn't he be making it worth my while? :p
  16. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    Why not share equaly in the fun! :D