S.O.S-completely lost with airport extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by quigleybc, Mar 6, 2007.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    damn, I thought this was gonna be tough, but not this tough..

got the new airport ex today (yea!) so far it's just a useless white box.:(
    So after three hours, this is where I'm at

i Have the desktop (powermac) wired to the airport, and a macbook. i did the N update, and successfully did the airport set up on both cpu's. The light on the new airport is solid green, and my built in ethernet is "green" in my network prefs on the desktop, and my airport prefs are "green" on my macbook network settings. when i run the new airport utility, my new airport is found easily by both computers.....everything seems fine....but no internet....even on the wired machine....sigh....frustration. OH i'm on DSL, through a modem, and i set up the airport using DHCP, manually typing in my IP address

turned firewall off, turned it on, tried whatever other internet related utilties i could find on both machines,

no dice

guess i need to call apple....this sucks,
    any suggestions ?

2. cobravap macrumors regular

Did you set up the router to login with PPPoE since you have dsl? (should be under WAN settings).

Also first try reseting the modem, then hooking it up to the airport.

3. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

No i didn't set it to PPoE, i did the other one....yes I'm on DSL, is that my mistake ?

4. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

No i didn't set it to PPoE, i did the other one.... I'm on DSL, could that be my mistake ?

5. peterjhill macrumors 65816

peterjhill

who is your internet service provider?

It is very likely if you have dsl that you will need to use PPPoE to connect to the internet.

If the airport is your "router" than you want it to make the pppoe connection for you.

Under your Airport Utilitiy, go to the Internet Tab (as in airport, internet, printers, disks, advanced)

Then select Internet connection and select:
    Connect Using [PPPoE]

you will need to fill in a username and password. It is likely the same one as your ISP's email (if you use it)

Under the PPPoE Tab under Internet, you probably want to select "Always On" You could do "Automatic" and set an idle disconnect time.

Good luck!

6. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

hmmmm well

my ISP is Telus, I got the internet working on the wired desktop by calling my ISP and I think the woman did something...anyway that works now

once that worked, i did the airport utility yet again, then the green light turned on the airport. nice. then it became visible on the macbook, and i think i'm good to go

I selected the network I made (i think it is, it's named what i named it) it didn't ask me for a password...so, how do I check to make sure it's my network and it's secure, and it's 'N' and all that stuff?