S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Discussion in 'Games' started by AP_piano295, Aug 5, 2005.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Looks like this is going mac acording to amazon looks very original what do you think?

STALKER Shadow of Chernoble

2. fistful macrumors 6502a

fistful

hopefully it will be. The game looks interesting although I doubt my powerbook could handle it.

3. Haberdasher macrumors regular

Looks like the one thing the Russian government still has the capability to do after Chernobyl is make up godawful long acronyms.

4. crachoar macrumors 6502a

I especially like the fact that all of the ejection ports on the guns are on the wrong side.

Because, after all - ejecting hot brass on your arms is a great idea.

I don't see the point in making a 'terrifying experience' if it's still going to be an arcade game.

I'm so tired of these games...

5. benpatient macrumors 68000

well, from what I've seen (basically all that they've released to date), this game is going to be possibly as cool as HL2, but probably even later than it was supposed to release.

It was scheduled to be "out" by this past May. I think next May might be more like it.

The thing has considerably higher system requirements than Doom 3.

If they pull it off, then it will be pretty unique in the FPS genre for a number of reasons.

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Oh good, more games we can buy but can't play....

7. benpatient macrumors 68000

a nice 6800 will work just fine, i think. Depends when the game comes out, though.

I know that at one point it was running smoothly on a radeon 9600 pro 128, but that was nearly 2 years ago. I think they've upped the lower bounds since then to reflect the current crop of cards.

8. harveypooka macrumors 65816

STALKER is based loosely around Tarkovsky's film (Stalker) and Chernobyl. I bought it and it runs horrendously. I meet the requirements (iMac Core Duo 2GHZ, 1.5GB RAM, 128MB X1600 Mobility) but it's barely playable. I'm going to have a hunt around on some forums to see if it's my specs or the game...damn, I was really looking forward to it!

9. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

This game looks great. Though given that it's pretty demanding, and Mac ports are always lazy and use resources inefficiently, I would've thought running this in Bootcamp is best where possible. Plus if you're into running other peoples mods, then the PC version would be better.

To anyone struggling to run it, turn off dynamic lighting as that apparently kills speed on all but the high end systems.

If anyone has this running on a 24" iMac with the 7600GT, I'd be interested to hear how its running :)

10. LaDirection macrumors 6502

This is NEVER coming to OS X.

On top of it, no older Macs could run it, only the very newest of systems (and therefore capable of running it in Bootcamp) could play it, so what's teh point?

11. harveypooka macrumors 65816

Surely you could reason 'why would any game come to OSX if it's available for PC?'. And games are coming out for Mac when you can already run a PC version in Bootcamp, Uru for example.

It probably won't come to OSX, but just because it's available for PC doesn't mean it won't be ported.

12. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Holy crap, this game is out?!:eek: I was really interested in it a year or so ago, loved the idea of the AI system, but when it failed to come out time after time, I gave up

13. harveypooka macrumors 65816

It's been in development for something like six years! I think a lot of people assumed it was a Duke Nukem Forever, but here it is! Woot! Now I just need to mod my iMac, replace the processor and the graphics card to run it!