S-Video adapter for MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by guffman, Feb 6, 2006.

1. guffman macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2006
    Does anyone know which adapter will work with the MacBook Pro in order to get S-Video and composite out? I heard a rumor that it was built into the DVI to VGA adapter shipping with the unit, but I feel like that's not true.
  2. guffman thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 11, 2006
    It looks like Apple says it only works with PowerMac and MacMini....are you sure it will work with a MBP?
  3. matperk macrumors 6502

May 6, 2004
    Milwaukee, Wisconsin
    Well, I don't have one yet so I guess I'm not sure. All I know is there's a DVI port, and that's what the adapter does.

I can't see apple including an S-Video adapter and not talking about it. It states that a DVI-to-VGA adapter comes in the box, so I'm sure that's all it is.
  4. Bitteroot macrumors newbie

Jan 20, 2006

While it does not guarantee compatibility, the folks at the Apple Store sold me one of the "powerbook/mac mini" dvi-s-video adapters last week. The fellow I worked with seemed to know his stuff fairly well, even reminding me that the new macbook pro has an 85w power adapter and therefore will not work with the kensington 75w cigarette adapter/inverter that I was also looking to purchase. Hopefully, I'll know for certain if ithe s-video works in about 2 weeks.