S-video on apple cinema display?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Larrs528, Jul 17, 2004.

1. Larrs528 macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,

Hope you can help me here. I just moved and didn't bring a tv, just the apple cinema display, so i'm wondering what the most cost effective way is to get s-video/rca inputs connected to this beautiful apple cinema display.

I know the display receives power through the one cable.... so, would I have to split that cable between the harddrive and a vga box, throwing in a dvi to vga converter?

What products would you guys recommend, i'm looking for a cost effective option.

(under 100 bucks through ebay...)

Thanks a lot,
    Larry

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Not exactly in your budget, but a better solution may be to find a DVR for the computer. This would allow you to watch, record and burn TV shows through the computer. Having owned a DVR and recently giving it up, I would pay almost anything to get one back... they are truly invaluable.

3. Larrs528 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the suggestion. My other main desire is to play my gamecube on the monitor, though. Are there DVRs with rca or s-video inputs which would give a good picture on the 20" cinema display? Also, any specific dvrs you'd recommend?

Thanks very much.

-Larry

4. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

How are you planning to hook the Display up to the DVR? You can't just hook the display up through the DVI interface, to any product that I know if, except for a Powermac.

Read this thread for explaination:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=79444

Sorry, unless you have $1500 to spare, its not going to work the way you want it to . . .

5. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

For $200-$300, you can get an analog->DV converter, which you can then pipe in and view with, say, iMovie.

If you have a digital camcorder, odds are that it does analog->DV conversion, meaning you don't need to buy anything.

This doesn't give you full-screen use. But, with iMovie and probably other things, you can use most of the display to show the DV input. iChat might also do the trick. Or Evocam.

So, $200-$300, or a digital comcorder, and you're basically set.

6. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Yup that would work, but it is not very elegant, but oh well.

7. Larrs528 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm...

I thought the DVR drive would install into the tower, and then enable me to plug something like a vcr or gamecube into an input on the dvr itself. Then, I would view the games or tapes through a program like quicktime. The alchemy tv dvr seems like it might work, and then I could use the composite in.

Would this work??

Otherwise, the digital camera might be a good option.

Thanks for all the help,
    Larry

8. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

iChat won't work, the video is fliped horizontally, becuase it assumes you have a camera hooked up and looking at yourself.

As for alchemy TV, that should work fine, but the quality of the picture depends on the quality of the card, and I have never used it, so I can't vouch for it.

9. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

The only problem you might have with some TV devices (not sure about PCI cards, but it is true with Firewire converters) is you get a 1 - 2 second delay between what is happening and the display. In other words, tell Mario to jump and you see him jump 2 seconds later on the screen. Makes games very hard to play. Maybe someone on here could vouch for the performance of an Alchemy DVR though.

10. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Just an update... You might want to read this page with reader reports on the Alchemy G5 card. At least 2 people reported that playing games was fine on it. Sounds like you got lucky ;)