s-video on the wii and GC?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Corrosive vinyl, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I have a nintendo s video plug-in cable currently on my GC, but havent used it except on an RF modulator. Does S video make a big difference over the standard Y cable when plugged directly into a TV that can support it? Is it worth dragging the GC into the living room? also, does the Wii have the same plug in as the SNES,N64, and gamecube, and is there a way to split the svideo connection going into the TV? I have one S video in, but want to hook both my dvd player and GC into it at the same time. Thanks for reading throught this garbldy-goop.

2. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

The Wii uses a different cable connector than the GC/SNES/N64 so the S-video cable for your GC won't work for the Wii.

I have bought an S-Video cable for my Wii to try to avoid hookup confusion through the receiver since TV and DVD run off of the S-Video input on my TV.

To split the TV connection get an AV Receiver from your local electronics shop. Most now have S-Video inputs pretty standard and let you hook up multiple sources to the receiver which then hooks to the single input on your TV. It will switch both the audio and video for you so you can leave your TV on the one input and use the receiver to switch sources. If the receiver supports surround sound you can get some surround speakers and get DVDs in surround sound with the right hook-ups.

I did notice an improvement in the picture moving from RCA to S-video but it isn't a "blow your socks off" improvement, a generally sharper picture is about all you see. I have both the S-video and RCA jack from the Wii S-Video cable plugged in so I can switch TV inputs to see the difference immediately and have been known to play on the RCA setting if I'm not paying close enough attention so the improvement isn't always obvious.

3. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

What??

The Wii uses the same connecter!

Im gonna check!

4. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

I know it's different from my N64 and SNES from back in the day, I can't be sure about GC, although I'm pretty sure it doesn't.

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Its different...my friend was going to hook up his NGC to play SSBM, but he couldn't find the NGC cable,and tried to use the Wii's, and it didn't work. After he told we that I asked why not use the Wii for your NGC, he had forgotten all about it.

6. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I have one of those... an RF modulator.. but it goes through the coax(cable) deal and I think it would degrade the quality of the picture and audio. I am looking for a splitter that would plug into the s video in the back of the TV and split it into 2 S video plug-ins, instead of using an RF modulator or AV reciever.

That sucks about the plug ins zap.. the snes all the way to the NGC used the exact same plug in... that was about 3 consoles, about 10 years time, so why did they change it?? anger.

7. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Yes an RF modulator is going to degrade the signal. If you're looking for an S-Video switch I can only assume that you would also want the audio switched as well which is why I suggested an AV receiver. You should be able to find one with a small number of inputs fairly cheap to hook up your DVD, GC, and Wii to the same TV input. Although I'm sure you can find a switch if you do some quick Googling.

Something like this perhaps?

8. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

so they could have the s-video/composite/audio and the component in the same cable. snes and 64 didn't have component, and gc had a separate connecter (only on earlier models) for component which did not have audio, so you would have to use two cables to use component.

9. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Side note not worth creating a new thread about:

I've searched radioshack and still have no idea. Is there such a thing a component [the 5 cable thingie] splitter/switch box?

I only have one component-in on my TV and have two devices for it - HD cable receiver and Wii; and if I ever get a DVD player I assume that new "regular" ones have component/HDMI cables for them now [even though I won't be getting a BR or HD player]. Any ideas?

I know they had switch boxes for RCA cables which would sometimes, noticeably, degrade quality; however; I think this wouldn't be much of a problem with component/HDMI. Even though it is the same degrading concept, it should be better cause it's HD.....? :confused:

I'll stop rambling now. TIA.

10. Corrosive vinyl thread starter macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I shall look up this switcher deally. A good dvd player with all that fancy stuff is a samsung HD-860, they also have a blueray version of it. It should only be around $100. The blueray version is quite a bit more.

11. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

My older HDTV only has 2 component inputs [no HDMI], so I bought a Joytech AV switchbox at BB. Supports 7 devices with component, Svid, and composite. Also has toslink and ethernet on 3 or 4 of them. I have one wifi network adapter hooked up for all of my consoles. I think I paid $89 for it.