S-Video out with adapter on the MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thegreatluke, Apr 14, 2006.

1. thegreatluke macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Okay, so my workdesk is conveniently a foot away from my TV.

My TV can input S-Video signal through a gaming adapter I have in it, which has an S-Video port. (It's one of those adapters with one output and three inputs, so you press a button to switch to different consoles.)

I have a question for those of you who have bought the DVI to S-Video adapter. Does it work well? I'm interested in using my TV as an external display. Does it look good and it's not fuzzy? What's the resolution with an MBP? Will it be mirrored or extended?

Thanks!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I haven't used the adapter with an MB Pro yet (one's arriving via work shortly), but I have two adapters here (mini DVI->S-Video for my PB and DVI->S-Video for my 17" Intellimac). Both work fine, both are spanned by default. No quality issues whatsoever, assuming S-Video is decent enough for your purposes (i.e., it looks as good as any other S-Video I've seen).

3. Graeme macrumors newbie

I have a MBP and the s-video adapter. It works fine for me. I don't remember what resolution the tv is at, but the quality is good. To use Front Row it needs to be set at mirroring otherwise the TV is just black and the MBP monitor shows the video. When not using Front Row, either mirroring or extended can be used. There does seem to be an issue with having the screen centred in the tv's picture space. There is a small black line on the right and I think on the top. Something like that. I've only used it a couple times so far.

-Graeme

4. thegreatluke thread starter macrumors 6502a

thegreatluke

Thank you!

I can't link it, but I'm planning on using the $20 Apple DVI to S-Video adapter from the Apple store.

I was thinking about it but I remembered that some people were saying the display was really fuzzy under an external display, so I just wanted to check.

I'll have to get it now! :)