S-Video output on Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by dodonutter, Nov 8, 2005.

1. dodonutter macrumors regular

I just went out and bought an s-video cable so i can connect my laptop up to my TV to watch DVDs on but when i got home and connected it up to my TV the picture was fine except it was in black and white which wasn't what i was expecting. Noticed that the output has 7 pins but the cable and tv input has only 4 so im assuming thars why theres no colour. Does anyone know how to get round this and get a decent quality signal (colour!) into my TV? Am i going to have to use a composite cable because i've heard the quality of s-video is much better than composite or does that not matter if the output is s-video. If i managed to get hold of a 7pin svideo to SCART cable (if they exist) would that work?

Sorry for all the questions and thanks for any input

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Sounds like the problem is on the TV end.

I've used an s-video to composite adapter with good results. That might work for you.

3. psychlonex macrumors newbie

Did your laptop come with the s-video -> rca adapter? Most powerbooks come with them, not so sure about ibooks. Basically any X-book with s-video should've shipped with it. Then you just plug that into your laptop and then run an rca cable into your tv's video input. You'll need a seperate rca for sound. Mine works fine this way, and has good quality. I don't have a tv with s-video in though so can't test that.

psx

4. dodonutter thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah i have that adapter but i bought the s-video cable thinking that would do the trick. think im gonna have to go get a composite /rca/ co-axial cable whatever they're called and i'll put the sound through my soundsticks so thats not a problem. I was sort of hoping some1 would pop up saying "Your an idiot, tick so-and-so checkbox and you will have colour" but guessing thats not gonna happen

Thanks for the feed back guys (or gals)

5. thepigstye macrumors newbie