S-Video

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by KSource, Oct 31, 2004.

1. KSource macrumors member

I'm not to familiar with the S-Video out function, I'll assume like it's any other video out type thing.

Has anyone hooked up their Laptop to TV with the S-Video to play DVD or videos of the Laptop.

Does it look good? Is that how it works? How much are decent S-Video cables? Does it auto-adjust the resolution (Screen ratios) of the Laptop-TV ?

2. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I tried showing some G-Force visuals on our TV using S-Video -> composite and 1/8" stereo -> RCA stereo. The audio worked, the video didn't, because G-Force (and WhiteCap) didn't like running in 640x480, and 800x600 looked like crap (what do you expect from a sub$300 Daewoo? :rolleyes: )

3. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

I use the s-video out on my powerbook. It works amazingly well. You just plug it in and select detect displays from system preferences. It auto adjusts resolution for you. I watch dvds and videos I download from the internet both look great. Hope that helps!

4. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yeah, it works great for DVDs, however, you should do a separate color calibration of whatever monitor you hook it up to, and turn on Overscanning in the Displays Preferences so the image stretches all the way off the edges of the screen (for DVDs). Also select Best For Video.

5. mpw Guest

I've used S-Video out from my iBook to a 16:9 TV with no problems as far as the picture went but had to use seperate cables for the audio.

Is this normal?

When I originally got the laptop I thought it would be great as I assumed the S-Video would carry the audio aswell but when I found it didn't I guessed it kinda' made sense to seperate the two and accepted it.

I never see anyone else mention it and wonder if I was the only one to think that or whether I'm missing something that would enable it??

6. neilrobinson macrumors 6502

no thats normal, well as normal as things get,

btw, i have an uncle that lives in jersey (i hope you mean the island) otherwise i am going to look kinda stupid :rolleyes: nothin new.

7. bartelby macrumors Core

S-video only carries the video signal.

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I've noticed that Mac OS X tends to save the settings (i.e. desktop picture if not using mirror, resolution, etc) for different displays you hook up. When I hook my PowerBook up to my TV, the 640x480 resolution is remembered, and is different to if I hook up the VGA monitor off our Dell desktop, which is also remembered.

9. mpw Guest

Yes I do mean the island. Small world my father's in Oz. Don't worry about looking stupid most people online have never heard of Jersey.

Thanks for the answers guys.