S&W announces .50 caliber Magnum, largest ever

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by peter2002, Feb 13, 2003.

1. peter2002 macrumors 6502

Smith & Wesson announces its largest handgun ever, called .50 caliber Magnum. It has an 8.5 inch barrel, weighs 4.5 pounds, a pound heavier than Dirty Harry's .44 Magnum, and 3X times more power. Cost, only $989.

http://www.latimes.com/media/acrobat/2003-02/6611301.pdf

http://ir.thomsonfn.com/InvestorRel...=MzgwU1ZJPVAkWQEQUALSTOEQUALSTO&storyid=81238

This S&W .50 Magnum will be real popular gun with thugs and street gangs. Although its barrel is too long to conceal, you could easily modify it by sawing off the barrel to be a snub snose revolver.

Pete :rolleyes:

2. macfan macrumors member

3. e-coli macrumors 68000

e-coli

Great. just what we need.

handguns should be illegal. there's no reason in the world to own or use one.

rifles, shotguns...fine. But handguns should be outlawed.

4. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Go to Hell

So how big is your glove box?
    coat pocket?
    Violent attacks if they happen will happen to those not carrying a visible weapon.
    Violent attackers don't like being shot by their victims.
    Not everyone has to carry a hand gun for everyone to benefit.
    How do we stop violent crime?
    a) stop people from carrying hand guns.
    or
    b) stop people from commiting violent crime.

:confused:

yes I'm simplistic.

5. ddtlm macrumors 65816

e-coli:

Did you look at the picture of that thing?! No criminal is going to wield that... they can get way more ammo in a smaller gun that fires faster and still gets the job done.

6. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Question

What happened to the Desert Eagle .50 cal?

They had a .357(.38), .41, .44, and .50 magnums.

Does this not count somehow?

BTW- I've fired the Desert Eagle .50 - we've all seen some version of the Desert Eagle in movies - the handgun with the big triangular front. That sucker needs to be heavy to just stay in your hand - not fun to shoot, don't see the point.

7. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

HOW MUCH POWER IS NEEDED????

How much firepower do you need?

I mean if your gonna blow someone away don't current handguns do this enough?

Sheech! .50 god.

3x the firepower FOR WHAT? Hand guns were invented for person to person that gun can now blow a person away with even more power.

HOW MUCH IS NEEDED?

Rifles were made for hunting and later war. Pistols, I don't think we need.

8. Vector macrumors 6502a

Vector

9. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Really, I suppose my wife is suppose to put a shotgun in her purse to protect her and my daughter right?

That makes no sense.

10. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Working in Private Law enforcement i understand the fact that handguns are necessary in both public and private law enforcement. The more stopping power they have the less shots will be needed to stop the attacker. If someone gets a .50 caliber slug in them it's going to put them down. Opposed to a .22 which is going to do significantly less damage. It's basicly one step above a BB gun.

A .50 caliber magnum slug could easily penitrate the engine block of a large truck and stop it.

11. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Any one else get a flashback to the original Batman when the Joker pulls that huge pistol outta his pants and shoots down the Batwing?

Lethal

12. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

A .22 in the hands of a trained pro can be far more dangerous than a .50 in the hands of an idiot.

The trained pro can put a nearly silent .22 (totally silent if modified) round in your temple, while the idiot will have a massive cannon that may or may not hit, and will alert anyone within a few miles that a shot has been fired.

13. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well said, thought out, and dead on solid, right!

14. macfan macrumors member

Yes, there are plenty of reasons to own or use a handgun. For one, they are good for killing snakes when you go fishing and come across a rattlesnake. For another, they are useful for a weaker person to stop a stronger person from dictating the terms of a relationship (i.e. robbery or rape). For example, 200 lb. guy breaks into a house, 95 lb. woman pulls out handgun and he flees or she shoots him or she holds him until police arrive. The knowledge that someone may be armed is often sufficient to stop a criminal from acting. Thus, to ban them may have the unintended effect of making law abididng citizens defenseless. One can argue the merits of different kinds of gun control and differnt solutions, but it is an absolute joke to say that there is no reason in the world to own or use one.

15. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

Or maybe Joe Piscopo

"This is an .88 Magnum. It shoots through schools." - Johnny Dangerously

16. Ifeelbloated macrumors regular

Does anybody know where I can get an AT-4 anti-tank rocket launcher? There's a certain lawyer I'd like to send kingdom come.

17. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Ouch!

Good god, I just had a look at the photo, the grip on that thing will break your wrist, you'd need to be bloody Judge Dredd just to wield it.

I shot with a bloke last year who'd bought a vintage elephant gun, .60 calibre I think, he only fired it once, couldn't use his arm for the rest of the day, frightened him to death and he sold it a week later:D

Besides, we all know size doesn't matter;)

18. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i knew your conservative nature was good for something :)

this thing is totally cool... i don't know what the hell one would use it for, but still...

i totally support gun-ownership rights, i myself plan on purchasing a lovely glock in 6.5 months, when i'm legal...

i'm thinking subcompact with compensator, dunno about that tho... i just think they look cool... maybe a glock 30 or 33. i don't know crap about guns, i'll be taking my grandfather with me for this one--

then all i need is a permit to carry concealed :)

pnw

19. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

And suddenly normal police are never good? I mean I would keep a gun, maybe in my house or something. I mean maybe if the world goes to hell (or worse). Cause I'm pritty handy with a knife and other household objects, depending on the location of my attacker I could do without a gun easily.

Why do we need guns for personal use again? I mean correct me if I'm wrong... Criminal get guns because of bad background checks... and gun owners are anti-background checks because...?
    'Because it will take my GUN' but it will not. It will just not allow dangerous criminal to get guns. Why can't people understand this.

haha. Sheesh no one need a PISTOL that big.

Yeah your looking in the right place, here! We all carry large weapons around, me and My AK 74 NEVER seperate. You never know when someone in my school can randomly take out a pistol and start shooting.
    I NEED To be prepared for the absolute worst.

And imagine what it could do to people! I mean .50 mm. ONE could (though use of your statement) easily kill a person in one shot.
    For the people who want to claim self defense don't get this gun it might easily blow the person away, heck ripe them to peices.

I love gun lovers!
    YOU NEVER MESS WITH MY SELF DEFENSE. If I get in range of any of you, I will disarm you so fast.
    What are you gonna do then?
    OH NO MY HUGE ASS GUN WAS GRABED FROM MY HANDS!

Be a man, use your hands.

20. ddtlm macrumors 65816

MrMacman:

Yeah, I keep a cop in my pocket in case someone mugs me.

Multiple people just told you why.

What does this have to do with anything? Now you're just ranting.

Lots of guns can easily kill a person with one shot, just depends how they are aimed.

Has anyone here suggested that this particular gun is what they want to use for self-defense? I only recall people talking about handguns in general, or smaller handguns.

21. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Sounds great, until the perp pulls his own gun. Somehow, I can't see your hands taking on a criminal 10 feet away blasting you to pieces. What are you going to do? Shoot him with a finger gun

One of the coolest pistols is the Nazi SS Luger. They're small, but the breech actually rests quite far behind your hand to increase barrel length. And they sit nicely in your hand. (No this is not in any way condoning Nazi's; it's just a sweet gun.)

22. kylos macrumors 6502a

kylos

Just gotta draw an analogy to the Iraq situation.:D

Why should an average citizen carry a weapon? To protect her/himself against criminals and ruffians who carry their own weapons. And we all agree that criminals shouldn't be allowed to carry weapons, right?

Why should the U.S. possess WMD's while forcing Iraq to disarm? See above. Amazingly, some people don't get this.

23. Lz0 macrumors regular

Re: Go to Hell

Less guns in society means less people will be killed by them.

---

Lz0

24. Lz0 macrumors regular

200 lb man takes gun from 95 lb woman, still rapes her but this time with gun as well, then kills her instead of just fleeing.

---

Lz0

25. ddtlm macrumors 65816

Lz0:

Or perhaps the woman just shoots his ass. That could happen too, seeing as how she has the gun.