Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Switched from my 4s earlier in the year to a note 2 and than to a s4. After upgrading to iOS 7 I can really feel how much smoother iOS is compared to touch wiz.

Anyone else that switched from iPhone to android feel the same way?

I will miss LTE but I'll live without it until I can trade my s4 for a 5s.

adder7712

macrumors 68000
Mar 9, 2009
Canada
Your iPad 3 has a better processor and double the RAM of my iPad mini and my mini runs it flawlessly. Guess you got a bad iPad.

No, essentially the same CPU + quad core GPU + 1GB of RAM + a very high resolution.

My sister's iPad 2 runs iOS 7 faster than mine.

flybub

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2011
I'm still on my S4 but I installed iOS7 on my iPhone4 last night and it darn near slowed that thing to a crawl. It was brutal. I fgured I just needed to let the OS sink in a bit but after 4 hours it was still stuttering and lagging just switching screens and I only have 2 screens. I'm hoping it settles itself in but my S4 is much more efficient than anything else I've used...even if TW is ugly as sin.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Switched from my 4s earlier in the year to a note 2 and than to a s4. After upgrading to iOS 7 I can really feel how much smoother iOS is compared to touch wiz.

Anyone else that switched from iPhone to android feel the same way?

I will miss LTE but I'll live without it until I can trade my s4 for a 5s.

Time to play around with Google Edition ROMs. My HTC One running 4.2.2 and Sense 5.0 was by no means slow, but after unlocking the bootloader and flashing the GE 4.2.2 and then GE 4.3 ROMs, it's a whole new device.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
Time to play around with Google Edition ROMs. My HTC One running 4.2.2 and Sense 5.0 was by no means slow, but after unlocking the bootloader and flashing the GE 4.2.2 and then GE 4.3 ROMs, it's a whole new device.

I was using dubbsys google rom for verizon actually. Still smoother on iOS.

ReallyBigFeet

macrumors 68030
Apr 15, 2010
I'm more astounded on how iOS 7 further slowed down my iPad 3.

iOS 7 runs the same on my Mini, iPad 3 and iPad 4. Slower on my iPad 2 with multiple apps running, however.

There's a lengthy discussion already happening on apples support boards....if you did an OTA upgrade to iOS7 on some device configs, you will experience lag/stutter. I always do clean installs, no issues other than the hassle of reinstalling apps (which is very easy now with iOS7 background updates).

Back on topic, although I'm not the biggest Android fan in the world, even I wouldn't dream of going from my S4 down to a 4S....that's like jumping back 2+ years in basic tech, let alone in features. At least go to an iPhone 5 to future proof yourself for a few months.

I'm excited to get my Note 3, hope it lives up to the hype and isn't just another Android gadget.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I was using dubbsys google rom for verizon actually. Still smoother on iOS.

4.3 Google edition is crazy fast on my HTC One. I'm running a different one based on Cyanogenmod 10.2 right now and it's awesome too. There may be a slight stutter here and there, but no more often than on my old 4s. Not sure why you mentioned touchwiz if you're running a GE ROM.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
4.3 Google edition is crazy fast on my HTC One. I'm running a different one based on Cyanogenmod 10.2 right now and it's awesome too. There may be a slight stutter here and there, but no more often than on my old 4s. Not sure why you mentioned touchwiz if you're running a GE ROM.

I've tried cyanogenmod 4.3 and google edition roms as well as tw based roms like hyperdrive by sbreen as well as a number of other tw based roms(I'm a chronic rom guy).

Also there is still touchwiz framework in the google edition roms which is why you can use the tw camera on ge roms and not on cm based roms.

In the end I was trying to get as smooth of an experience as possible which is supposed to be the nexus, but now that I've tried all these devices I feel iOS is just no comparison.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I've tried cyanogenmod 4.3 and google edition roms as well as tw based roms like hyperdrive by sbreen as well as a number of other tw based roms(I'm a chronic rom guy).

Also there is still touchwiz framework in the google edition roms which is why you can use the tw camera on ge roms and not on cm based roms.

That must be a Samsung thing then. The Sense based camera worked on 4.2.2 GE ROMs on my HTC, but it doesn't work on the 4.3 GE ROMs. From what I've been reading, most of the Sense framework was stripped out on the HTC GE ROMs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.