sabotage a G5!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by MRU, Aug 27, 2006.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Anyway to make a G5 develop a fault without it being 'suspicious' ;) :D

Would running without the side on the machine do it?

2. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Set an ice cold drink on top of the machine. Use a coaster that doesn't work well.

Wait for condensation to do its thing.

3. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

No matter what your reasons are, that is really a waste of a good machine.

4. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I'm sure a little Sprite on the CPU would help, but why would you wanna sabotage anyone smarter than you?:D

5. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

My guess is something to do with perhaps being close to being out of warranty. If it can be damaged without appearing to have been tampered with, the possibility of the intel model to replace it would be on the cards.

6. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

7. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep its been repaired 3 times before due to proper faults, but when i asked apple to replace the machine on the third time, they decided to change the definition of repair and called one of the previous times a 'service' :rolleyes:

So 1 more repair and it can be replaced with a macpro....

8. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Apple wouldn't give you an Intel model. I work with a friend who has the G5 iMac from right before they made it a bit slimmer and she brought in her power supply and it actually has burn marks on it from catching fire. Apple just replaces it with the same part every time. So Apple will have plenty of parts from the G5 to fix your machine. You're doomed to fail.

Daniel.

9. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

No on your third repair you can get a full 'refund'.. That refund pays for a macpro.

10. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

11. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I'll have to tell Christine then... I could've sworn she's taken it in many more than three times though.

Daniel.

12. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Call me what you will, but I don't blame him/her. If I have to send something in once for repair, that's one time too many IMO. I think a refund is reasonable compensation for the trouble and if this is the only way to do it, it's worth the risk.

Just my two cents. :)

13. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

So if the A/C breaks in your car, you consider it to be unacceptable?

Any given company can't be expected to produce completely perfect products that never break. This is why we have warranties and the like.

14. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

The fact that Apple replaced the processor and decided that does not constitute a 'repair' is what really peeved me off.

I have had 3 repairs whether Apple admit it or not, logic board, gfaphics card failure, processor (all of them replaced) ... I mean what more can go wrong in a machine ?

TBH - i wouldnt have the nerve/neck to sabotage the machine in reality anyway...

15. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

in any case, come back and tell us if it worked ;)

16. LBmacman macrumors member

leave it outside for a day. or you can sell it to me :)

17. tutelary macrumors newbie

Does Apple pull this kind of crap a lot? I dont have a mac yet and its kind of worrying. I mean hell I can build and service my own pcs.

18. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Warranties are great and repairs are fine. If the A/C went out in my car, and it was a new car, that'd be unacceptable, yes. If it went out in MY actually car, I wouldn't be surprised. :p

My point is that we all pay a premium for these machines. After two or three repairs (or even "services"), I think it's about time something be done to make the client happy.

19. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I completely agree. But I think the statement that one repair is too much is a bit much to expect of any company, of course depending on the product they are selling.

20. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Not if they state that's what they will do when you take out their extended warranty in the terms and conditions. Apple state that 3 repairs and the customer is entitled to a new replacement or a refund.

Only to move the boundries/definitions when it suits...

21. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

It's already been in for repair 3 times, so he's in his full right to get a MacPro. He just has to pull loose/slash a tiny internal cable that will crack up the system...:D

22. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

Put something large and metal inside, like a screwdriver, right on top the logic board. Put it somewhere where if it catches on fire, it won't damage anthing (like in the middle of the garage or something) and switch it on for a few hours.

23. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

:eek: Not a chance !!!

24. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Is there actual documentation of this? Because my MBP is fresh off of repair #2 and I imagine something else will go wrong with it in the next 3 years, hopefully post merom update (although I would never break anything on purpose, it is just that from my experiance something will break all on its own!), and being able to bust out "well section C234-4546DF-$%-SDF!@#$-234 of the apple repair code of honor says that I get a refund" would be a nice tool to have on my side...

25. MaxPower2k6 macrumors newbie

If there's any Apple RAM in the machine, putting one of the sticks in the microwave for 1 second should do the trick. Should work on hard drives, too, but you'd have to be cool with losing all of your data.