SACD on G5?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by sosumi, Dec 12, 2003.

1. sosumi macrumors member

With the G5's supporting 5.1 audio, anybody knows if it's possible to play Super Audio CD's from them?

2. aphexist macrumors member

It is not possible.

It will neither decode the discs, and even if it did, the G5 uses a digital out for multichannel, while SACD output requires separate 5.1 analog outputs.

However, there are many low cost alternatives to $4000+ audiophile SACD players these days. There is a Pioneer DVD player available at Best Buy that supports SACD multichannel as well as DVD-Audio for about $170.

3. sosumi thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I think I will go for the Pioneer then. I was just trying to convince myself to buy a G5 since I need a new Mac anyway.

4. sparky76 macrumors regular

If you want to rip a SACD, there is a workaround. Put the disc in a CDROM drive (not one which reads DVDs) and copy it to a CDR. This works for most SACDs as they have a CD layer too. Your Mac will see the CDR normally, but sees the SACD as a blank DVD.

5. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I understood that SACD's would play in Stereo, on older non-SACD players and computers?

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Are SACDs DVDs, or or they a different type of media? If they are DVDs, then it will probably just be a matter of time before someone comes out with a player.

7. ksz macrumors 68000

There are 2 types of SACD discs:

1. Standard SACD. Plays only on SACD players.

2. Hybrid SACD. The platter or disc itself has two layers: a standard Redbook CD and a buried SACD layer. This disc is playable on both CD and SACD players.

SACD, being a very high resolution format, sits on a DVD-type layer (4.7GB), but the format is proprietary and encrypted. After lengthy deliberations, a digital audio output format is finally ready, but found only in the high-end SACD players. Sony is particularly concerned about piracy, so it's doubtful whether they have any plans to make SACDs readable on a computer (i.e. SACD-capable drives) or even to license the digital audio output format for use by software/OS companies.