Sacramento this summer?

Discussion in 'Community' started by kevin49093, Apr 30, 2004.

1. kevin49093 macrumors regular

So I just heard that I have a week of training this summer in Sacramento! :D

Anyone know of anything that I should make sure I do in the city or in the surrounding area? (The only thing that I have been told so far is that my hotel has a great bar downstairs.)

2. craigdawg macrumors 6502

This is right up my alley...

That sounds like the Sheraton Grand, which is downtown. Here are some things to do and places to eat in the downtown area:

Eats (* = walking distance from the Sheraton)

If you like sushi, the only place to go is Mikuni* on 16th St. near J St.

The Pyramid Brewing Co. & Alehouse* on the K St. Mall near 11th St.

For a sammich, Pennisi's Deli is right across the street from the Sheraton. (My friend's uncle owns it).

Rio City Cafe/Joe's Crab Shack/California Fat's are in historic Old Sacramento, which can be a fun place to putz around. Vlade Divac from the Kings has a restaurant there called Tunel 21.

For Mexican I would recommend Ernesto's (1901 16th St. at S St.) or Centro (2730 J St. at 27th).

Things to do (* = walking distance)

The Oakland A's have their AAA affiliate here, the Rivercats. Tickets are cheap and the food is alright.

If you like trains, the California State Railroad Museum is supposed to be really cool. It's in Old Sacramento as well.

The State Capitol* is close. Remember, Ahnold Schwarzenegger is our Governor.

If I got the hotel wrong, let me know and I'll help you with other options.

3. kevin49093 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a ton! It sounds like you live there.

I think that is the hotel. It is the one right across from the capital building.

What is Old Sacramento? Should I check it out? Any district that is extra good for nightlife/clubs/ etc...?

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Bring lots of cool clothes. Have you seen what the average daily temperature is in Sac-to in the summer? :eek:

5. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Hmm...that sounds like the Hyatt, which is where Ahnold lives. For real. It's only a couple of blocks away from the Sheraton so everyting I said was within walking distance is still within walking distance.

For clubs downtown you have (* = walking distance)

815 L Street* (815 L St.) - ecclectic
    KBar* (K St. Mall behind the Hyatt) - electronic/trance/house
    Elements* (805 15th St.) - dance, some r&b & hip-hop
    Harlow's (J St. at 27th near Centro & Blue Cue) - ecclectic
    Tunel 21 (Old Sac) - electronic/trance/house

There's a new place called Empire (1417 R St.) that just opened and specializes in live music. I haven't been there but here's a review in the Bee.

Someone did get capped recently at Elements so you've been warned. :eek:

Old Sacramento is hard to describe. It's like a historic district with a gold rush-ish theme. It's our tourist trap I guess. It's connected by an underground passageway to the Downtown Plaza, which is a outdoor mall. There's a Hard Rock Cafe there as well as a movie theater.

Old Sac's alright I guess.

6. applefan macrumors regular

Since Craigdawg has hanging around midtown checkout

"Tapa The World" for Spanish at 2115 J St
    "Celestin's" for Caribbean at 1815 K St
    "Moxie" at 2028 H St
    "Monkey Bar" at 2730 Capitol Ave
    "PF Chang's China Bistro" on J St. at 16th, next to Mikuni that Craigdawg mentioned.

And for free internet access with coffee there's "Cup A Joe" at 1530 16th St # A

There are a lot of places to discover on your own depending on you taste.

Enjoy your stay.

7. craigdawg macrumors 6502